How to Survive Living Off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Junior year is a little different.  Some of our friends are abroad; some of our friends are on campus, while the rest of us are experiencing the new life of living off-campus.  Whether you’re on Foster, in 2000 or down on Sutherland (where is that again?), we’re all in it together to figure out just exactly how this living-on-you-own-thing works.  We have bills, we have to cook (is this real life?), and we’re all adjusting.  Here are some tricks of the trade to surviving your off campus home that I’ve learned so far:

Keep a good relationship with your realtor and/or landlord.  Within the first week of living in my house, our kitchen turned into a swimming pool with an overflowing dishwasher.  The next day, the refrigerator decided it wanted to join in on the disaster that was previously our kitchen floor and also leaked…everywhere.  Let’s be honest, we all panicked, but the first thing we did was call our realtor and he had someone at our door within 10 minutes.  When in doubt, give them a call.  They’re there to help.

Hide your belongings.  But really, we’ve all heard the stories about break-ins and robberies in off-campus houses.  Don’t let it happen to you.  Keep your doors closed, your windows locked, and your valuable belongings out of plain sight.  Personally, I keep my laptop and my jewelry in a random drawer.  Come up with a good hiding spot, but just make sure to remember where you hide your stuff.

Keep plenty of frozen food in the freezer.  If you’re anything like me, you’re probably not a chef in the making.  And, most of us don’t have time to cook up a full meal every day.  Trust me, frozen food will become your best friend.  There are plenty of healthy options.  Head over to Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods and pick up a few boxes for the week.

Have friends over!  Always be prepared with some beer and/or a bottle (or box!) of wine for impromptu dinner parties and pregames.  There’s nothing better than a gracious host!

Keep your cool.  When dealing with setting up utilities, stay calm.  Personal anecdote: I may or may not have gotten into a fight with someone from Comcast.  Lesson learned.

Walk!  Don’t take the bus.  If you live close enough and don’t have an 8am (why would you—you’re a junior and you should know better).  It’s a great way to start and end your day.

Explore.  We all love Fin’s and Eagle’s Deli, but try the other side of town.  Washington Street is chock-full of cafes and restaurants that can please any off-campus student’s budget.  You never know, you may come across your new favorite restaurant!

Take advantage of your neighborhood.  It’s way too much of an effort to walk to and from the Plex everyday.  And, it’s annoying once you get there and have to wait what seems like forever for a treadmill.  Why not take advantage of the neighborhood and learn some new running routes for your daily workout?

Do you have any tips for surviving your off-campus home? Share them with us!

Photo Sources:
http://4thavenuepropertymanagement.com/wp-content/uploads/4th-Avenue-Pro…

I am currently a student at Boston College studying Communications & French.
Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.