How to Score a Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

As we jump right into February, it’s almost time to start figuring out your summer plans.  You might want to take summer courses to finally finish up your core, or get a leg up on your major requirements, or, if you’re a junior like me, you might possibly be having an existential crisis about this being your last summer vacation… ever.  If you’re a little more emotionally stable than I am and want to take a break from school for a few months, a summer internship is the way to go.  That said, scoring your dream internship can be pretty tricky.  Having just gotten back from a quick jaunt to New York on Monday for interviews, I’ve learned a few of the ins and outs of finding a great internship, so read on for tips to make sure you’re on top of your game when applying.  From fashion to finance, we’ve got you covered.

Breaking It Down: The Cover Letter
Writing a winning cover letter can admittedly be somewhat of a challenge.  But what’s key is to maintain a balance between talking about your accomplishments and how great you are for the position, and what you love about the company you’re applying to.  Presumably, you’re sending your resume because you want to work there, so be sure to mention what it is that drew you there in the first place.  It’s important to know your audience and write your letter accordingly.  By all means, DO NOT copy and paste paragraphs from letters you may have written in the past – chances are you might overlook a name or two, which tells your potential employer that you aren’t too interested in their company – they want to feel special, after all!  Ultimately, a well thought out letter shows your skills and makes the reader want to meet you in person, which brings us to the next crucial step…

The Interview
When it comes to the interview, your main objective should be to leave an amazing and lasting impression on whoever is interviewing you, which depends on a number of factors.  First of all, remember the basics of eye contact and a firm handshake:  manners go a long way!  Secondly, you want to dress to impress, but what you should wear depends on where you are applying.  On Monday, I was interviewing for fashion-related internships at Eddie Borgo, Refinery29, and Teen Vogue, which meant that dressing anything near business casual would have put me at the bottom of the list.  I opted instead for something a little more fashion-forward, but still sharp and professional.  If you’re going in a less style-oriented direction, however, it’s best to keep your personal style at bay and let your personality and your skills be the center of attention. 

Aside from what to wear, you want to nail the actual conversation as well.  Make sure to come prepared with a copy of your resume, cover letter, your portfolio, and a pen – you might want to take a few notes about specifics of the job.  Before the actual meeting, it helps to think of some questions your interviewer might ask so you’re prepared with a few basic responses (you certainly don’t want to be at a loss for words when they say “So tell me a little bit about yourself.”)  That said, however, you also shouldn’t overthink what you’re going to say – it’s better to sound like your natural, fabulous self than scripted and formulaic.  And always have some questions prepared for the end of the interview.  Sounding interested will make you more appealing, and show that you’ve really done your research.  And don’t forget to listen to the answers!  They’ll help you figure out if the internship actually is a good fit for you.

The Follow-Up
You want to make sure you’re making a good impression before, during, and after the interview, so be sure to follow up after your meeting, whether you write a quick thank-you note for having met with you, or send an email with additional questions you may have not thought to ask.  You want to stay fresh in your interviewer’s memory so that when it comes time to make their final decisions, you’ve done everything humanly possible to be their first pick! 

Finally, remember that perseverance and resilience are of the utmost importance when applying for an internship.  You may not hear back from many of the people you contact:  of the dozens of emails I sent out for interviews in New York, I received about five replies, so it’s important to stay confident and not lose your determination.  Also, being diligently organized makes keeping up with emails, schedules, and documents a lot less stressful.  (An iPhone app that I found insanely helpful was TripIt, which organizes your train schedules, meeting times, and maps into one convenient and easy-to-read format, which made getting around the city a lot easier for this New York newbie.)  Most importantly, however, applying for an internship is a great learning experience that not only helps you hone some very important communication skills, but also teaches you a lot about yourself.  Here’s hoping you’ll find just the right internship for you – with these tips, you’ll be sure to wow them!

Photo Sources:
refinery29.com
ameramedia.com
elitedesignweb.com  

Emilie Sintobin is a senior at Boston College studying French and Art History. A diehard fashion enthusiast and francophile, she dreams of the day she can return to Paris, where she spent a semester studying abroad last year. This fall, in addition to writing for Her Campus BC, she is also joining the Her Campus National team as an editorial intern. In her spare time, Emilie devours the pages of Vogue Paris and W, loves listening to oldies tunes, and can't get enough of a good old-fashioned dance party.
Katie Moran is a junior at Boston College, majoring in Communication. Originally from Seattle, she loves the East Coast but misses her rainy days and Starbucks coffees. On campus, Katie is involved with Sub Turri Yearbook, the Appalachia Volunteer Program, UGBC Women's Issues Team, Cura, and the Women's Resource Center Big Sister Program. She loves reading, watching "Friends," and exploring new places. She has a passion for creating and hopes to begin a career in marketing and advertising.