HC BC’s Packing List for Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Studying abroad will guarantee be one of the best semesters of your BC career.  I was in Venice, Italy last semester and did not regret my decision to go once; but, now that you’re excited to go abroad, have all of your paperwork into OIP, and just renewed your passport, it’s actually time to go.  The big question is: what do I need to bring?  Well collegiates, I put together a list of essentials to bring from the US to wherever you choose to go abroad.

1. Let’s Go student travel guide books. These are written by students for students. My Let’s Go Europe book acted like my bible when I was abroad! They list the best sights, hostels, restaurants, and bars popular amongst students.
  2. Backpack. Use it to travel for weekend trips.
  3. Comfortable walking shoes
  4. 1 pair of heels. As much as you think you will wear heels out, the uneven cobblestone streets of ancient Europe will quickly make you realize otherwise
  5. Shower shoes. You won’t want to shower barefoot in the hostel showers.
  6. Boots
  7. Rain Jacket/ Umbrella
  8. Peacoat/ Snow Jacket
  9. Gloves, scarves
  10. Lots of layers. Zip up hoodies, cardigans, t-shirts. Layering is essential in unpredictable weather
  11. Going out shirts/skirts. You can also share with your new abroad roommates
  12. Fun jewelry. Nothing valuable or expensive
  13. Sundresses. These are small and easy to pack. Necessary for sunny spring weather.
  14. Bathing suit
  15. Sandals
  16. Camera and charger. You will want to document your travels. Bring your camera everywhere.
  17. Adaptors. International adaptors can be bought anywhere, from Amazon to Staples for about $10.
  18. Small over the shoulder purse with a zipper! Just big enough for your money, ID’s, camera, and phone. Make sure it has a zipper to prevent being pickpocketed!
  19. Medications. Meds in Europe are not only in another language, but also really expensive. Bring basic cold medicine, anti-nausea meds, and any others you usually need.
  20. Travel size toiletries. When you’re flying for a weekend trip, most likely the only bag you will have is a duffel bag or backpack. Travel size toiletries saves room and meets the airline requirements. Under 3oz liquids!
  21. American Snacks! Peanut butter is just not the same in Europe. Bring a little piece of America to your travel destination.
  22. Cash. Bring cash to exchange once you land at the airport. You may need it to grab a taxi or metro to your university.
  23. Journal. This was probably one of the best things I brought to Venice. Some people start online blogs, but I wanted to write down the memories just for me to look at. Write in it as often as you like: every day, after every trip, or other memorable moments.

Other tips:

Buy a lock there or bring a lock to use on lockers in the hostels. Hostels usually charge for locks or make you put down a deposit.  And call your bank to tell them you will be abroad, so they won’t block you credit or debit card.

Enjoy studying abroad! You will have the time of your life.  

Photo Sources:

http://talknerdy2me.org/tag/packing

http://www.albinfo.ch/files/imagecache/image_article/kuferi.png

Melanie is a senior at Boston College. 
Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.