Goals for Next Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Now that the semester is over and we are all finally done with finals, I know the last thing any of us want to think about is next semester, but now is the perfect time to do so. After all, this semester’s triumphs and shortcomings are still fresh on our mind. Now is the time to reflect on how things went this past semester and think about what we can do to improve things for semesters to come. We tend to make the same mistakes semester after semester and with the start of a new year comes the chance to break that cycle. Here are some goals to keep in mind and think about over winter break before we head back to BC in January:

1. Create a daily schedule in attempts to limit procrastination. I’m a victim of procrastination and I’m sure you are too, along with almost every other college student in the country. Although it’s impossible to eliminate procrastination altogether, you can learn to be more in control of it by making a daily schedule. Whether it’s as detailed as an hour-by-hour schedule or just a list of things you want to get done each day, you’d be surprised how much it can actually keep you on task if you stick to it. Additionally, when you do take a procrastination break, you’ll feel so much better about it!

2. Don’t get behind. Once you get behind, it is incredibly difficult to catch up and you don’t want to spend the entire semester being just within reach of being on top of things without ever being able to actually get there. If you stay on top of things, you will be less stressed and you will also be able to do more fun things!

3. Go to office hours. Even if you don’t have any questions at the beginning of the course, stop by your professors’ office hours and introduce yourself. Not only will they know who you are, but if you are confused about a concept later on, it will be less intimidating to approach them.

4. Keep up some sort of workout regimen. Everyone always starts off the semester on the right start, especially after the New Year. The Plex classes are packed and it’s nearly impossible to get an elliptical or a bike unless you go at really off times. However, as the semester progresses, less and less people stick to the workout regimens they started with at the beginning of the semester. Stick with it though! Not only is it good for you, but it can also be a great stress outlet!

5. Go into Boston more. At the beginning of the semester, we always talk about all the cool things we want to do and go to in Boston, but as the semester progresses, less and less of these activities actually come to fruition. Make a conscious decision to spend a day in Boston every few weeks or at least once a month. It’ll be a nice break from campus and you may even discover something new in Boston that you love!

6. For all the seniors reading this, enjoy every moment. It is incredibly easy to get caught up in stupid, petty things such as pointless arguments with friends or roommates, that boy who won’t text you back, or the bad grade you got on that paper. However, it’s our last semester of college and it’s not worth it to get caught up in all that stuff. We’ll never be able to get this time back so enjoy every second of it. Go out with your friends, do all the things on your BC bucket list that you’ve been putting off, and most importantly, enjoy everything that BC has to offer because before we know it, we’ll be walking across that stage getting our diplomas and saying our goodbyes.

Sources:

http://dms-xoxo.tumblr.com/post/3300820836/story-of-my-life

http://blog.intrapromote.com/to-do-lists-the-greatest-thing-since-sliced-bread/

http://islesofjane.com/category/quotes/

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum