Fun & Easy Super Bowl Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Super Bowl XLIX is just days away, and for us New Englanders this means party time!  With the Patriots in yet another Super Bowl, we can’t help but be excited for the highly anticipated game.  Even with Deflategate in the news just about everywhere, nothing can bring us Bostonians down from cheering on our beloved Pats.

With the semester’s work starting to pick up, you might be wondering, “What on earth should I bring to the Super Bowl Party my friends are hosting down the hall?” Well, collegiettes, I have put together a list of simple and delicious treats that you can make in no time at all. 

1) Caramel Crispy Chex Mix

You might remember seeing those Chex Mix commercials during the Holiday Season.  You know the ones where the microwave rings to “Carol of the Bells” and out pops delicious 15-minute Chex Party Mix recipes?  One of those recipes is the perfect sweet treat to bring to any football party.  Lighten up the mood with your friends from Seattle by bonding over the caramel flavor Chex that are sure to make you both smile.  Here’s what you’ll need:

·      4 ½ cups Rice Chex™ cereal

·      4 ½ cups Corn Chex™ cereal

·      1cup packed brown sugar

·      ½ cup butter or margarine

·      ¼ cup light corn syrup

·      ¼ teaspoon baking soda

·      1 cup candy-coated chocolate candies

These are your four easy steps:

1)   In large microwavable bowl, place cereals.

2)   In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave brown sugar, butter and corn syrup uncovered on High about 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until melted and smooth. Stir in baking soda until dissolved. Pour over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.

3)   Microwave uncovered on High 5 to 6 minutes, stirring and scraping bowl after every minute, just until cereal begins to brown. Cool 5 minutes; stir in candies.

4)   Spread on waxed paper to cool; break into bite-size pieces. Store in airtight container.

For more Chex Party Mix recipes visit www.chexpartymix.com

2)   Delectable Three Layer Dip

This one’s a no brainer.  Chips and salsa is always a staple on game day, but sometimes I feel that the salsa alone just isn’t enough.  Try this super simple recipe to put a subtle twist on your regular Chips and Salsa go-to. 

What you’ll need:

·      Cream Cheese (hint* for those who want a healthier take on this recipe, buy cream cheese with 1/3 the fat.  It takes almost the same and you won’t regret saving yourself some calories to indulge in another party snack)

·      Salsa (my personal recommendation is Peach Salsa)

·      Mexican Blended Cheese

How you put it all together:

1)   In a microwave safe bowl, line the bottom of the bowl with the cream cheese.  The thickness is your choice, but usually you can’t go wrong with about ¾ of an inch thick.

2)   Next, spill some salsa right on top of the cream cheese layer.  For this step, you’ll want to use about ½ the jar of salsa, or more depending on your size bowl. 

3)   The last step is covering the salsa with the shredded Mexican Cheese blend. 

4)   Stick the bowl in the microwave for about 1 ½ -2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

5)   Serve with chips and enjoy!

3)   Marshmallow Popcorn Balls

This snack is more of desert, but hey, who said all game-day snacks have to be salty?  Move over chicken wings, these simply sweet popcorn bowls are making a Super Bowl worthy statement. 

Gather these items:

·      1 bag (82.3 g each) Orville Redenbacher’s® Gourmet® Butter Microwave Popcorn

·      ¼ cup butter

·      4 cups miniature marshmallows

·      1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

1)   Prepare popcorn according to package directions. Transfer popped kernels to large heatproof bowl, being careful to remove all unpopped kernels; set aside.

2)   Place butter in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds or until melted. Add marshmallows; microwave 90 seconds more (marshmallows will appear puffed). Add vanilla and stir well with heatproof spatula.

3)   Pour marshmallow mixture over popcorn; stir to coat. Form popcorn mixture into 2-1/2-inch balls, rolling firmly by hand

4)   Pigs Rolled Up in a Football

For those ladies with an oven in their dorm, this recipe is perfect for you.  This adorable rendition of “pigs in a blanket” will have all of your guests reaching across the table for on of these warm bite-sized snacks. 

Ingredients:

·      2 cans of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

·      48 cocktail-sized smoked link sausages or hot dogs

·      Yellow Mustard

Here are your steps:

1) Heat oven to 375°F. Unroll both cans of dough; separate into 16 triangles. Cut each triangle lengthwise into 3 narrow triangles.

2) Place 1 sausage on thin point of each triangle. Roll up, starting at point and rolling to opposite short side of triangle. Place seam side down on 2 ungreased cookie sheets.

3) Bake 11 to 14 minutes or until golden brown, switching position of cookie sheets halfway through baking. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to serving tray.

4) Cool 2 minutes. Squeeze 1 line of mustard crosswise and 3 lines lengthwise to make laces of football. Repeat with remaining crescent dogs.

I hope this list gives you a few ideas on what to make for the big game.  Good luck and Go Pats!

Sources

http://blog.simplyyouthministry.com/tech-stuff/2015-super-bowl-party-sup…

http://theself-trainedchef.blogspot.com/2013/09/three-layer-dip.html

http://www.orville.com/recipes-Oooey-Gooey-Popcorn-Balls-4348

http://www.fatandhappyblog.com/2012/10/boozy-marshmallow-popcorn-balls.html

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/pigskins-in-a-blanket/ddfff4a0-dae1-4f44-8400-30061b7764ce?utm_campaign=8230301&utm_medium=display&utm_source=N7676.157906.TIMEINC1&utm_content=114534446&utm_term=59189003

Shannon is currently in her junior year at BC.  She is majoring in Elementary Education and English, hoping to one day teach in an urban school.  Originally from Hopkinton, MA, one of Shannon's favorite things to do is tell people that her hometown is the start of the Boston Marathon - it's claim to fame!  In her free time, you can find Shannon cuddled up somewhere with her adorable giraffe-spotted mug.
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.