A Few (More) Ways to Spice Up Your Dining Hall Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

With the semester already halfway over, a lot of things around campus (like midterms) are getting old pretty fast, especially the repetitive options in the dining hall.  They key is to get a little bit creative.  Since this is my second year of eating the majority of my meals in Mac, I think I am now qualified to share some of my trade secrets.

Taco Burger

Because I am a vegetarian, I like to do this with veggie burgers, especially when they have that fancy burger bar, but I would guess that it is also good with a regular burger or even grilled chicken.  So instead of the usual ketchup or barbeque topping, try for some guacamole, salsa, and sour cream (get creative with that condiments bar).

Chili and Rice

Whenever they are serving it, simply get a cup of chili (meat or three bean), a side of rice, top it with cheese and/or sour cream, mix it all together, and Voila!  Your side of soup becomes a proper meal.

Pita Magic

It has been said before but it is my personal belief that almost any food can be improved by putting it in a pita pocket (available in the cabinet by the muffins and bagels in Mac and by the side of the salad bar in Lower).  It is very easy to get creative with pita bread but some of my better ideas include:

·      Breakfast: Order an omelet of your preference, scrambled, buy a pita, get some hot sauce or ketchup, and then put the eggs etc. in the pita!

·      Lunch: When they are serving falafel in the salad bar (or substitute grilled chicken) put it in your pita with lettuce, other salad bar elements, and dressing for a more satisfying version of your favorite salad.

·      Dinner: Take a veggie burger, once again best when they have the fancy ones, and instead of getting a bun, use pita bread instead and fill it with your favorite toppings (again, I will vouch for taco toppings: lettuce, cheese, guac, salsa and sour cream).

Want more Ideas? Check out our other article (Link: http://www.hercampus.com/school/bc/5-yummy-ways-spice-your-dining-hall-routine)

Photo Sources:

www.dairybelle.co.za

http://noblepig.com/2010/05/taco-burger/

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.