Fall Flavors You MUST Try!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

There are a few things that always serve to remind us that fall is in the air.  There’s the re-emergence of Ugg boots and black North Face jackets with the cooler weather and changing leaves, Daylight Savings, and O’Neill packed with students stressed over midterm exams.

But one thing that really lets collegiettes know that fall has arrived and the holiday season is getting closer is when your latte at Starbucks comes in a flashy red cup, and your favorite seasonal menu items are available again.  C’mon, what says fall more than a piping hot Pumpkin Spice Latte from Dunking Donuts or Starbucks, or the smell of gingerbread wafting from your favorite bakery?  Here are some of BC student’s favorite fall treats that scream autumn, and that only grace us with their presence once a year.

Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Latte:  A delicious blend of espresso, pumpkin flavored syrup, and steamed milk topped with fluffy whipped cream.  Katie Oh ’12, raves about this very appropriate autumn drink., “the perfect addition to a crisp fall day is a delicious Pumpkin Spice latte!”

Gingerbread Latte:  What says Christmas more than gingerbread?  If you don’t have the time or resources to build your own gingerbread house, then at least let yourself indulge in a gingerbread latte from Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts.  Christine Miecuna ’12 says this is her go to beverage during the fall season.  “It’s the perfect substitute when they take the Pumpkin Spice Latte off the menu, since they both have that same spicy flavor!” The best part?  You can grab one of these steaming hot lattes at Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, or even Hillside!

Starbucks’ Peppermint Mocha:  Before we start stealing the candy canes off of the Christmas tree, this Starbucks favorite is the perfect way to get that peppermint fix.  Steamed milk with peppermint, mocha and vanilla flavored syrup, whipped cream, and dark chocolate shavings?  Sign us up!  Kate Froehlich ’12 says, “I love the transition from iced coffee to hot in the fall.  I always treat  myself with Peppermint Mochas, and the best part is that they come in the Starbucks Christmas cups!”

Dunkin Donuts’ Pumpkin Muffin:  This heavenly baked-good is a seasonal offering that makes your mouth water merely from looking at in the advertisements hanging in the window.  Not only does the muffin taste like everyone’s favorite Thanksgiving pie, it’s topped with icing and streusel crumbs.  Michelle Meyer ’12  says “it reminds me of November and pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.  They’re even more delicious when you have them quickly heat it up for you!”  Nom nom nom.  

Trader Joes’ Pumpkin Butter:  One product that everyone is always excited to see re-appear at Trader Joes is their Pumpkin Butter.  It’s literally everything you love about fall, Thanksgiving, and the cold weather in general all perfectly packaged in one tiny jar.  This spiced and lightly sweetened drink is a warm, autumnal favorite of tons of BC collegiettes.  Trader Joes suggests smearing it on toast, drizzling some over ice cream, or even adding it to yogurt.  But us? We’ll eat a plain heaping spoonful any day.  Our only complaint is that the jars aren’t bigger!

Cheesecake Factory Pumpkin Cheesecake:  What says decadence in the fall more than a slab of this limited-time Cheesecake Factory dessert?  The delicious pumpkin filling is bursting with all of those favorite fall flavors, the crunchy graham cracker crust is the perfect complement to the silky cheesecake, and it’s all topped off with whipped cream and chopped pecans.  Cheesecake Factory advertises this slice of autumnal goodness as “Better than the best Pumpkin Pie,” and we can’t help but agree.  One slice is never enough…

Photo Sources:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tinymuffins/2047491525/
http://www.jasminelow.typepad.com
http://www.grubgrade.com

Wish you could’ve seen YOUR name in this article?  Join our listserv so our writers can occassionally contact you for quotes or interviews on upcoming articles!

Julianne is an Ohio native studying communication at Boston College with a concentration in journalism. She got involved with Her Campus BC when the chapter launched in December 2010. She began as an editor and contributing writer, and since has moved up the ranks to Campus Correspondent. Aside from working for Her Campus, Julianne is a certified personal trainer at Boston College's Flynn Recreational Complex and teaches group fitness as well. During her sophomore year, Julianne was a part of the Arrupe Program at BC and traveled to Guatemala, learning about the culture, political, social, economic, and religious issues of the country. Her goals post graduation include writing for a health and fitness magazine or working in communications for college or professional athletics. As for now, however, she is enjoying life at the University she loves so much! An avid hockey and football fan, one can always find Julianne in the stands rooting on BC and the Boston Bruins! Other hobbies include running, yoga, cooking, baking, and photography.