The F Word: Feminism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

In light of the recent speech given at the UN by Emma Watson, the theme of gender equality is being tossed around social media and the news. This powerful, articulate, and empowering speech on feminism has sparked the conversation we need to have.

We are the members of a credited and well-recognized university; one in which we are encouraged to express our feelings and views and fight against what is unjust. We are prodded and encouraged to be men and women for others, so why is it that we limit ourselves in discuss? I challenge you to ask yourself this: are you a feminist? Would you label yourself as a feminist? It is by definition, the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is political, economic and social equality for both sexes. It is more than just feminism now, it is humanitarianism, and as made clear by Emma Watson, it is a man’s fight too. This conversation addresses the misconception surrounding feminism. This feared word has been associated with the burning of bras and most importantly, man-hating.

This is a new generation and a new fight for gender equality. It has much more to do about working as one cohesive group. Watson speaks to the fact that this is just as much a man’s fight as a woman’s and if men support this now, “their daughters, sisters and mothers can be free from prejudice.” This is everyone’s fight, one we must fight together.

It is easy for us in the United States to pride ourselves on how far we have come in regards to gender equality. In comparison to most of the world, we are far ahead of the game. Yet, we make snap judgments at developing countries who expect to progress when they are only utilizing half of their population by taking women out of the equation. However, we are doing the same thing here by keeping men out of the conversation. How will we be able to progress if we do not invite men to question the unfairness and inequality females face? Simply because they are not women does not mean they cannot understand or fathom the difficulties and differences there are.

This seemingly uncomfortable word and topic often goes undiscussed. But the real question is: If not me, who? If not now, when?

Photo Sources:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/09/22/watch-emma-watsons-united-nations-speech-on-gender-womens-rights/

http://readnwrite.in/why-is-f-a-dirty-word

Sophomore in CSOMFinance Concentration
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.