Exercise Outdoors This Spring!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Despite the snow that fell on the first official day of the season, it is officially spring (really, Boston? really?).  We’re trading our North Face jackets for cardigans, the cramped inside tables at Hillside for outdoor benches, and the Plex for… well what else is there?  For those of you who can’t stand the thought of working out inside when you could be enjoying the spring air and working on your tan, here are some ideas for outdoor spring exercises.

1.     Run or walk around the Reservoir
In terms of calories burned, there’s not a huge difference in walking versus running or jogging.  So choose any speed and enjoy the view as you make your way around the Reservoir.  Bring a friend to chat as you enjoy the warm air, the chirping birds, and the view (not just talking about the water here… this route is a Mecca for fit guys).

2.     Play basketball
Even though guys seem to dominate the outdoor courts on Upper, this is definitely not a boys-only activity.  Bring back those skills from high school (or middle school, grammar school, or the plastic hoop in your nursery) and enjoy shooting around with your friends.  It’s a fun way to get a workout in too!

3.     Make your own boot camp
Merely walking around our campus is like a mini-boot camp, so just bump it up a level.  Run up and down the Million-Dollar Staircase (preferably not during class-changing times to avoid the crowds), do push-ups and sit-ups on the lawn, and do some heel raises off the curb.  You may get some looks, but hey, everyone watching probably just feels guilty for eating Frips while you’re on a calorie-burning spree.

4.     Go for a bike ride
While most of us don’t have a bicycle on campus, chances are you have a friend willing to share, and you could always rent from one of the bike shops by campus.  Back Bay Bicycles on Comm Ave lets you rent for a day or a week, and other bike shops in the area have similar offers.  Ride around campus or explore the surrounding neighborhood.  You could even bike on some of the running trails listed on the Plex’s website, and get a great workout while getting outside of the BC bubble.

5.     “Plexcursions”
A few times each semester, the Plex offers outdoor recreational trips, called Plexcursions.  Past options have included skiing and hiking excursions, and this spring, there will be “Alpine Adventure Tours” where you can zipline through the trees in New Hampshire.  See nature from hundreds of feet above the ground on this unusual and exciting opportunity – really, when else will you get a chance to go ziplining with all your friends?  Other excursions are sometimes offered as well, so keep checking the Plex’s website and take advantage of what comes up.

On the first day of good weather, it’s like BC’s population has multiplied overnight.  Students who hibernated in their dorms all winter suddenly appear doing homework on the lawns around campus (RIP Dustbowl), strolling around the school, or just chatting on the outdoor benches.  We all want to take advantage of the beautiful weather, and an easy way to do that is to move your workout outdoors.  There’s so much you can do to get a varied workout in, and this is a great chance to explore the area around BC, get some fresh air, and get a base tan before summer comes along… of course with a bikini body to match!

Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.