Energize Your Life and Feel Empowered (And It Only Takes a Few Minutes A Day!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

When you think of the adjectives to describe your daily life, which come to mind?  Hectic?  Stressful?  Sleep-deprived?  Run-down?  Our crazy lives have so many dimensions and can get to be overwhelming here at BC.  If we aren’t working out at the Plex or studying in Bapst, we are either going to parties in the Mods or meeting people for coffee at Hillside (all while trying to look put-together and be engaging).

The truth is that BC girls want to do everything!  But we need to prioritize our lives in order to maintain our physical, mental, and emotional health before we can achieve anything else.  College is a time to focus on our own personal development.  We should be looking to improve and empower ourselves instead of over-extending ourselves.

MPWR in 10 is a program co-created by Nancy Donahue – the sister of our own men’s basketball coach Coach Steve Donahue – and Michelle Chung.  They want to extend this program, which they had originally created for company team-building, to college campuses across the nation.  The main purpose of this program is to encourage students to set realistic goals for themselves while reflecting on their daily routines in order to lead more fulfilling lives.

The daily MPWR in 10 process consists of writing down:

1.  5 things you were grateful for that day (ex: a favor your roommate did for you?)

2.  One conflict you had and how you handled it

3.  One person you helped

4.  One fun thing you did

5.  Two long-term or short-term goals you have set for yourself and a step you took toward them that day

6.  One goal for the upcoming day and how you are going to pursue it

…And it only takes 10 minutes of reflection a day!

I have been writing my reflections down for a month.  Not only am I well on my way to achieving my personal goals, but I also have started to actively show appreciation for those important people in my life.  I have begun to prioritize my life according to what makes me happy.

So instead of logging onto Facebook, checking your email every 5 minutes, or watching the latest YouTube video (like Rebecca Black’s Friday), write your reflections in a journal.  Follow this list and you will really be surprised by the guidance it gives you!  Feeling empowered really only takes a few minutes a day!

Learn more at www.mpwr10.com.

Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.