Easy, Breezy, Beautiful Spring Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

When I look outside my foggy window on a typical BC winter morning, I long for the sun to illuminate those green patches of grass, or at least what were once green patches of grass.  There’s all this hype about buds soon being on the trees, but so far the snow keeps coming.  It can make it feel like spring (as well as BC’s unofficial “skirt day”) is never going to come!  No fear, spring really is on its way.  The winter weather just gives you more time to spruce up your wardrobe and check out some trends and colors that will put some “spring” into your step.

1.  Brights: 
Designers, like Michael Kors, remind us that bright colors are in.  On campus, BC women are catching on to current runway trends and sporting lime green Longchamp bags or neon accents with shoes, coats, or jewelry.  This spring, take a risk and try some bright pink lipstick paired with your bland tan outfit.  You’ll stand out from the crowd (in a good way)!

2.  Denim:  Jeans are always in, but this spring why not try some high-waisted or bell bottoms?  The ’70s are coming back in style and old school trends like these are easy to include in your everyday collegiette™ wardrobe!

3.  Long skirts:  Remember “10 Things I Hate About You” and “Bring it On”?  Long, knee-length, stretchy skirts are back, so channel your inner ’90s Kirsten Dunst or revert back to your Mary-Kate and Ashley days.  These comfortable skirts, or even tube dresses, are the perfect way to say “hello” to spring.  (Try this ‘Sparkle and Fade’ skirt from Urban Outfitters!)

4.  Chunky wedges:  Chunky wedges pair perfectly with this revival of vintage style, will compliment your pedicure, and give you a little height.  Whether it’s pants, a skirt, or a dress, these shoes will definitely go with your outfit.

5.  Flowy and sheer materials:  As they say, March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb.  Live up to this soft, lamb-like style with flowy blouses and a layering of sheer tops.  As you set out to embrace the warm weather, you will be comfortable, cool, and collected!

6.  Florals:  April showers bring May flowers.  As spring rolls around, don’t forget about that cute floral top that has sat in your closet while you waited for the snow to melt.  Try pairing a solid with a floral or even mix and match patterns, but stick to a certain color.  As flowers spring up from your garden, you can walk outside into the sunshine with a similar peachy look.

Photo Sources:
http://www.pursepage.com/other-designer-handbags/leighton-meester-is-citrus-chic-with-her-longchamp-purse.html
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=20527073&navAction=jump&isProduct=true&parentid=MORE%20IDEAS&isProduct=true&cross-sell=true&guide-bn=true

Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.