The Do’s and Don’ts of Winter Accessories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

I’m sorry to say it, but winter is in full swing and the snow, ice, and gloomy weather sometimes appear to be holding us down from looking our best. Fortunately, we do not have a sacrifice our sense of style in the face of this Polar Vortex. A thick scarf, jewel-toned jewelry or an eye-catching hat can accentuate your look this winter and add a fresh new twist to any ensemble. But of course, there are rules for accessorizing for the season. Use these essential winter accessorizing do’s and don’ts as a guide: 

1. Do – use accessories to add colors to your clothes. Outfit feeling too dull? Add a cute, colorful scarf!
  2. Don’t – overdo it. A scarf, mittens, leg warmers, bag, hat, and puffy jacket is only going to look stuffy. Fewer, thicker layers is a much better option. In this case, less is more!
  3. Do –try a new hair accessory. If desired, keep it simple with silver and gold hair accessories that can be a great match with a V-neck sweater or cozy knit dress. Or try my personal favorite, a knitted headscarf that will keep your ears warm during your walk to class!
  4. Don’t – make everything match. Your handbag doesn’t have to match your gloves, boots and scarf. Keep things simple by choosing one eye-catching accessory to balance out your look.
  5. Do – take risks. Never be afraid to try out the newest looks straight from the runway this winter. Try a new velvet scarf or hat or even a hooded scarf (yes, they exist and they’re awesome!). Winter is the time to experiment with layers, accessories, colors, and different fabrics. Don’t be afraid to take a fashion risk!

Above all, my number one “don’t” this winter is do not sacrifice your warmth for fashion! You can look cute in the best winter accessories and clothes, without having to worry about catching a cold! Dress warmly, dress fashionably, but most of all, dress confidently.

Photo Sources:

http://www.nacelayp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/winter-outfits5-layered-winter-outfits-worth-copying-7fxuxqbf.jpg

http://schooldesigner.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/hipster-girl-outfits-winterwinter-fashion-outfits-cute-n-cozy-winter-outfit-ideas-fashion-z1argomb.jpg

http://nyunews.com/wp-content/uploads/12-05-Accessory2.jpg

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum