DIY Halloween Decorations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

For many of us, BC is a “home away from home.”  However, when I think about my house back in my hometown, it is completely decorated with all things fall by this time of year.  There are mums on the front steps, a fall foliage wreath hanging against the green door, two perfectly-picked pumpkins waiting to be carved, and a scarecrow looking out for the shrubs and guarding against birds.  Then I think about my house here at BC.  There is not a stitch of holiday or seasonal decor in, on, or around it, which makes it feel less like home.

So, I have decided to search for some Do-It-Yourself Fall/Halloween craft ideas, and I must share what I have found! There’s nothing like coming back to your dorm room, suite, or off-campus house to a space that is full of seasonal life.  Below I have posted the cutest, most Collegiette™craft ideas that I hope you will try!

Spooky Solo Cups

All you need to create these adorable, lantern-like solo cup decorations are three materials.  Obviously you need the solo cups (preferably in orange, green, or white) but personally, I think red works too (think cute, scary devil).  Grab a few LED tealights from the hardware store in Cleveland Circle and any old black sharpie.  Turn the solo cups upside down, and draw faces on the cups.  Place the LED tealights under the cups, but PLEASE only use LED tealights, not real candles, as these can burn the plastic cups.  Hint: two or more tealights looks best and brightest.  Enjoy your new solo cup lanterns.

Ombre Wine Bottle Centerpieces

Ever wonder what to do with those empty wine bottles that you have after the weekend? Well, here’s your answer. Once again, head down to the Cleveland Circle Hardware store and pick up three cans of spray paint: orange, white, and yellow.  Then spray the bottles with the three colors.  Make sure to have white at the top, then orange, and yellow at the bottom.  Let them dry and add an orange bow to each.  Arrange on your table with real candy corn to compliment your beautiful new centerpiece.

Trash Bag Spider Webs

Have you ever made those cutout paper snowflakes at Christmas time?  This is the same basic idea, except this time you use trash bags to create your spooky masterpiece.  Grab a few heavy-duty large black trash bags, a pair of scissors, and some tape.  The actual cutting part gets a little more complicated – you can get more detailed instructions here.

I hope some of you ladies decide to get crafty and try these ideas! If so, be sure to snap a pic of your creations and tag @hercampusbc to show us your hard work.  Happy Fall and Happy Halloween!

Photo Sources

http://www.diyncrafts.com/3263/homemade/40-easy-to-make-diy-halloween-decor-ideas/1

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/216524694560194293/

http://www.hgtv.com/handmade/trash-bag-spider-webs/index.html

Shannon is currently in her junior year at BC.  She is majoring in Elementary Education and English, hoping to one day teach in an urban school.  Originally from Hopkinton, MA, one of Shannon's favorite things to do is tell people that her hometown is the start of the Boston Marathon - it's claim to fame!  In her free time, you can find Shannon cuddled up somewhere with her adorable giraffe-spotted mug.
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.