Dear Freshmen, Don’t Worry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

So it’s finally October and the whirlwind that is the first month of school slows to a screeching halt, and you hit the windshield. You stare at your reflection just long enough to realize that you really are here; you are at BC for good, at least until Thanksgiving.

Your parents are getting ready to leave after a great weekend that included the Pops Concert, the football game and family dinner… and the reality that you are not getting on the plane to go back home with them hits you. Roommate issues may begin to emerge, and maybe you regret not going to the club fair. Suddenly you have all these thoughts running through your mind and you become an existentialist questioning your life. I am here to tell you that every freshman goes through their own unique struggles first semester, but I would like to give you some encouragement: know that you are not alone, and that things will get better.

If for the past five weeks you have found yourself wandering the mods, and suddenly you are realizing that is not your idea of fun, it’s ok. If you are slowly beginning to see that the people you are hanging out with
don’t really have the potential to be true friends, it’s ok. If you didn’t join a club and now you are jealous of how busy all of the people on your floor are, it’s ok. Remember, it is never too late to get to know that one girl on the other end of your hall who you always smile at in passing, or get a job on campus, or confront your roommates about how you are feeling. Although it may not seem like it, the doors have not closed on you.

Don’t be afraid to go into Boston – take the Comm Ave bus to the D line (NOT the B line, it takes forever) and head into the city for dinner and a movie. Leaving campus is a great way to remove yourself from the hustle and bustle of BC and gain some perspective. Cleveland Circle is extremely accessible, so take advantage of it! When the weather is nice, take a jog around the res to rejuvenate. And if you are not a runner, take a walk and then loop around to have dinner in Lower. The key is to break up your routine – when your days become mundane, you are in danger of being bored. For me, that meant multiple trips to late night (…mmm mozzarella sticks). Boredom can manifest itself in many ways, but it’s always dangerous. To avoid it, switch things up every once in a while!

Make sure that you take advantage of all of the resources on campus – Campus Ministry is a great way to get involved and create a second family for yourself here at BC. Find ways to make the community smaller, and trust me, you will feel better.

For me, first semester was rough, and things would have been made a lot easier if someone would have said to me “Don’t worry, it will all work out in the end.” Any kind of transition in life is difficult, but when you throw in homesickness, a complete change of environment, and the unbelievably moody Boston weather, it can really be overwhelming. But know that every single upper classmen has stories from their freshman year, and even though you may feel overwhelmed and exhausted from having to prove yourself to everyone you meet, all of these experiences will have value later on.

So, if you take one thing away from this article, it should be this: freshmen year is a time of transition and change that can be exciting, daunting, and thoroughly overwhelming – but you must remember that there are countless other students who are feeling the stress too, and it is never too late to shape your BC experience to fit who you are.

Photo Source:
http://www.rowersedge.com/colleges/
http://www.bceagles.com/genrel/bc-faq-general.html

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better. 
Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.