A Day With My New Best Friend…Jennifer Lawrence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Dear J. Law,

As a student in the Boston area, I want to warmly welcome you to this amazing city and wish you the best of luck as you film your latest movie.  If you need any help on the set, fashion advice, late night food runs, girl talk, or some practical joking, please don’t hesitate to have your people call my people (aka ME, since I don’t have “people”).  Every time I see you in films and on the red carpet and basically on any form of social media I think to myself, “Wow, she is definitely my girl” and now I feel as if this is the perfect opportunity to prove that to you, myself, and my friends who think I’m ridiculous!

I am a firm believer in balancing work and play and therefore, I would like to offer myself as your unofficial tour guide for the day of the great city of Boston.  I promise that you will begin to love this city as much as I have over the past three years as a student at BC!  Below I have included some options of great activities we could do together when you have a day off from filming.

Brunch and Shopping on Newbury Street:  So many great restaurants to choose from where we can indulge in heaping piles of French toast and pancakes, or simple eggs, or even a great burger.  And afterwards, Newbury Street is the perfect place to go shopping!  We can update your wardrobe (or mine) and put on fashion shows for each other.  Maybe even mock some of the craziest styles and ridiculous prices.

Swan Boats and Boston Common:  After walking down Newbury Street, we will approach the Boston Common and we can go on the Swan Boats.  Sounds totally tacky, but it can actually be fun and relaxing.  Can you imagine the looks we would get if a college girl and the famous Jennifer Lawrence started making quacking noises on the boats?  Bring a book or picnic blanket because it is nice to relax in the Common on a warm sunny day.

Faneuil Hall and the North End:  Next up we can work our way towards Faneuil Hall and check out a bit of good old Boston history.  Then it’s time for lunch, so I HOPE you’re hungry and a fan of Italian food because the North End will definitely be a treat!  There are WAY too many options to choose from, but I know we will never fail in the food options!  And don’t worry about paparazzi, many of the best restaurants are “holes in the wall,” so you can feel safe.

Walk by the Wharf:  I personally love being by the water, so I think a short walk down to the Boston Harbor and a walk along the wharf will be a nice bit of exercise after our extreme lunch!  The wharf may not have the greatest smell, but that’s just the greatest of Boston seafood in its natural habitat.  The aquarium is also a fun place to visit!

The Garment District:  Not as luxurious as it sounds, but the Garment District is one of my best kept secrets in the Boston area.  It is a great thrift store off of the MIT T-stop on the Red Line that also sells Halloween costumes in October.  I have found some great fashions over there as well as some ridiculous ones.  A fun game I like to play is to see if I can put an outfit together for under $25.  It’s so much fun and you never know what surprises lie ahead!

T-ride over to BC:  Please don’t get frustrated with me about this, but riding the T is a necessity for anyone who wants to feel like a Boston commuter.  Waiting for the color- coded line with ease is something you can hold pride in.  People-watching is also great.  When we get to BC, I will show you around the school I have fallen in love with.  The buildings, people, sports atmosphere, professors and yes, even sometimes the food, make me want to extend my visit over four years.  If we want to get coffee at Hillside, your “Hunger Game” skills will definitely come in handy while seeking out a table.  Need to get in shape for your next movie?  Feel free to take a few trips up and down the Million Dollar Stairs.  If we want something cold for a snack, a short walk across Comm Ave will lead us to my favorite ice cream place, White Mountain Creamery, where the homemade ice cream attracts customers even on the coldest of Boston winter days!

Baseball Game at Fenway “Pahhk”:  Talk with a Boston accent, scream like a crazy fan, and love them even when they lose: the 3 things you should remember as we venture to the beloved Fenway.  Beers may be pricey and Fenway franks may make you nervous, but they are a MUST have!  Nothing beats the atmosphere of Fenway on a spring night as our hopes are still high and baseball season is in full swing.  You can also get “chowdah” at the game, which is how I will insist you pronounce it if you decide to order it.

Typical Night out at BC:  It may not be the red carpet or the swanky parties you are used to in Hollywood, but as a BC student I don’t think I would be doing you justice if we didn’t go out in BC style.  First we will “pre-game” and you can meet all of my friends. We can dominate in drinking games and you can witness plenty of selfies being taken. We then have the option of going off campus or to the famous Mods…and with you I’m sure we can go to both and get in at any party.  Show off some of your moves from “Silver Linings Playbook” on the dance floor, sweat in a dimly lit room with no space, and drink room temperature drinks.  I swear it’s a lot more fun than it sounds.  We will then make our way down to MA’s or Cityside to get a taste of the BC bar scene.  MA’s is your classic college dive bar…enough said.

Late Night and Stories:  As we work our way back to campus and get ready to call it a night, we will have to stop at Late Night for some greasy, fried foods that will satisfy you to the point of complete divineness when you eat them, but make you think, ”Did I really eat that?” in the morning.  I would gladly split some mozz sticks and chicken fingers with you!!  People watching is again another fascinating side activity that can be done here.  Afterwards, slumber party in my room where we can talk into the wee hours of the morning about whatever is on our minds and learn so much about each other.

So please, Jennifer, consider adding these options to your agenda during your time in Boston and I am sure your appreciation for the city will grow to a whole new level.

Photo Sources:
www.sweetcarolineblog.com
www.eonline.com
www.centerandsqaures.com
www.jezebel.com

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."