Current Event Catch-Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

If you haven’t been watching the news recently, a lot has been going on. While HC BC normally only brings you current events on Sundays, we decided a midweek catch-up might be helpful.  Here are five current events you might have missed!

Solar Eclipse

A solar eclipse occurred yesterday and could be seen from the United States around 6:30 a.m.  There hasn’t been a solar eclipse like this since 1854 and there won’t be another like this for quite some time. This type of eclipse occurs when the moon passes in front of the sun without completely covering it, leaving a little crescent shaped piece still visible. This is just one of the things that reminds us how much wonder there is in the world.

Shooting at LAX

There was a shooting at Los Angeles International Airport this past week. Here is a quick rundown of what happened: Ciancia (the alleged shooter) is charged with the murder of a federal officer. On Friday morning, he walked into the airport and pulled out a 223-caliber assault rifle, shooting TSA officer Gerardo Hernandez at point blank range. Ciancia was shot by officers and is in critical condition. There were three other victims as well. James Speer and Tony Grigsby were TSA officers and were wounded, but released. Brian Ludmer was a traveler who was shot in the leg.  He is in stable condition. Ciancia faces the possibility of the death penalty or life in prison with no parole.

The Jonas Brother Officially Break Up

The Jonas Brothers officially confirmed that they are broken up. The band is splitting over “creative differences concerning their music.”  Needless to say, there were a lot of heartbroken fans out there as the Jo-bros took to social media in hopes of comforting their loyal fans.  The band simply said, “The time has come for us to move forward on individual career paths.”  I know that I’m pretty upset over this news!

One Talented Doctor Gives Back

Dr. Georges Bwelle has been noted as one of the Top 10 CNN Heroes of 2013.  Dr. Bwelle was inspired by the trouble that his father endured during his treatment at less than equipped hospitals in Yaounde, Cameroon. His father was in a car accident that caused a broken arm, but then due to an infection that spread to his brain, Georges Bwelle’s father was never be the same.  There were no neurosurgeons in Cameroon and unfortunately for Bwelle’s family, they did not have the money to take his father out of Cameroon. So Bwelle became a doctor and began to tackle the problem himself. He started a nonprofit organization called ASCOVIME.  This organization travels into rural areas on weekends to provide free medical care. Since 2008, they have been able to help over 32,000 people.

A Weekend Dedicated to Halloween!

This past weekend, as we all know, was the very celebrated Halloween weekend here at Boston College. This is a weekend full of classic costumes like cats and lifeguards. I myself saw a lot of great and original costumes this year. No matter if you are more into the classic Halloween witch costume or are a person who strives to be different we all can agree that Halloween is a great time to let loose and be something different for a night and no one does it better than Boston College.

Sources:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/11/02/splc-right-wing-lax-shooters-note-reportedly-said-f-u-to-bull-dyke-napolitano/

http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/10/29/jonas-brothers-break-up/

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/01/world/africa/cnnheroes-bwelle-cameroon-doctor/index.html?hpt=wo_t2

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."