Cooking in the Gate: The Beginning

When I first found out that I was not going to have a kitchen, I was worried.  How was I going to eat?   What could I cook?  I had spent the previous year abroad with a full kitchen.   I cooked most of my meals and lost the taste for the often salty food that is served in cafeterias.   I had made healthier meals and wanted to continue expanding my culinary abilities.

Rather than give up, my goal was to attain a new perspective and to make my own meals.   Cooking would not be easy, especially with a required meal plan.   However, I was up to the challenge and decided to meet it head on.

As I go throughout the year, I hope to share my journey with you.   Three recipes are below to set the school year off on the right foot.

Hummus

Ingredients:
Hummus
Vegetables (Carrots, Celery, Broccoli, Peppers, Cucumbers, etc.)
Pita or Pita Chips

1. Cut up vegetables and pita.
2. Place on plate.
3. Serve

There are a variety of types of hummus, so you can choose how spicy you want it to be. For me, the spicier, the better.

Yogurt Parfait

Ingredients:
Yogurt
Cereal or Granola
Fruit

1. Place a layer of granola or cereal.
2. Add a layer of fruit.
3. Add a layer of yogurt.
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 until the glass is filled.

There are several variations to this recipe depending on what you like. Here is one of my favorites:

Yogurt – Plain Chobani Yogurt
Fruit – Chopped Strawberries and Blueberries
Cereal – Kashi Heart-to-Heart

It’s sweet, but not too sweet.

Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Sandwich

Ingredients:
1/2 Tomato
4 Thickly Sliced Pieces of Fresh Mozzarella
6 Fresh Basil Leaves
2 Slices of Bread (or Italian bread, French demi-baguette, etc.)
Balsamic Vinegar
Salt and Pepper

1. Toast bread in a toaster, or leave bread untoasted.
2. Drizzle balsamic vinegar to taste.
3. Place down the mozzarella.
4. Place the tomato on top.
5. Place the basil on top.
6. Drizzle balsamic vinegar to taste.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.

While this makes an excellent sandwich, you can also make this as a salad.   Dice the mozzarella and tomatoes.  Finely cut the basil.  Place in bowl, and add balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste.   Serve. It’s not only fresh, but tastes delicious!

I hope that these recipes get you started off to a great school year.  They are easy recipes that even the most basic of cooks can make.   As I adapt to my new environment, I hope to share my recipes with you and help you not only eat healthier, but happier.

Until next time!
Danica

Photo Sources:
http://www.cheekychicago.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/hummus.jpg
http://delicious-cooks.com/data_images/recipes_01/yogurt-parfait/yogurt-…
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/yeko/yeko1110/yeko111000484/10883677-f…

Danica is a senior at Boston College and is a History major with an Irish Studies minor.  She is originally from Greenwich, CT and moved to East Boothbay, ME.  She is also a member of Boston College Irish Dance and the Shaw Leadership Program.  And last but not least is a fiery redhead who lives in a dragon-guarded castle surrounded by a boiling lake of lava! But don't let that cool you off. She's a loaded pistol who likes piña coladas and getting caught in the rain. Yours for the rescuing: Princess Danica!  (And yes, that is a quote from Shrek...)