College from A Short Girl’s Point of View

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

A normal day for me consists of frequently being questioned about my age due to my extremely tall height of 5 foot (on a good day). If you are short like me, than you know the common short girl problems, but if you happen to be tall, I know you probably have your own set of struggles that I will never get to experience.

So while I may have been shorter than almost everyone in my grade in high school, there weren’t many problems that I faced due to my height, but the first couple weeks of college have already hinted at the future struggles I may endure.

1.) My problem with the closet space is not that there is a lack of space. Maybe it has to do with the fact that my clothes are pretty tiny, but I packed my entire wardrobe and I had no trouble fitting it into the narrow closet and dresser. However, my problem is the top shelf. Currently, my top shelf holds all of my dresses, and frankly, I haven’t worn a dress this year yet because it’s a hassle. I need to uncomfortably carry or drag my desk chair across the room (that is more than half my size) in order to browse the dresses or put them back where they belong.

2.) I am the roommate who has the side of the room with the storage shelves across the whole wall. Now, I am not complaining, I like the amount of storage I have, but it is a bit difficult to reach. If I want to reach a book that is on a shelf above my bed, I need to first jump on my bed (that is another problem in itself) in order to be able to see what books are even there. However, for the shelves closest to the window, again my desk chair comes in handy, when I need to push it against the wall and again, use it as a stool to reach something that’s not in my 5 foot bubble.

3.) I think the height of the bed is a little more relatable, even if you aren’t super short. With the bed raised to the top of the bed raisers, it is a challenge to climb on to. I cannot simply just “climb” into bed. I need a running start, followed by a giant leap, and then I am ready for bed. However, all those nights where you drop something off your bed and you expect to just reach down with your arm to pick it up, are gone. You either have to disrupt the comfortableness of sleep and jump down (which is a pretty far jump for having short legs) or leave it there until the morning. (And you know how hard it is to be more than a foot away from your phone at all times!!)

4.) As you can tell, my little dorm room contains a lot of short girl problems, but there is still one more: the peephole. If there is a knock on my door, I will always have to open it, and will always open it, because I cannot see through the hole. By the time I drag my very useful chair across the room, the person will probably be gone. So, every time I open my door, it is a surprise!

5.) While some people complain about the lack of variety of food or how the food upsets your stomach, my main problem of the dining hall is that I cannot see. Especially when the dining halls are crowded, the menus are hidden by everyone taller than me- which is basically the entire student body. I need to slip my way through the over 6 feet tall football players just to see what the dining hall is serving, and do this four more times to target all the stations.

Since I’ve been on campus for a little over two weeks and already discovered the daily struggles of my small stature, I can guarantee I will have another list sometime in the future…I just hope I’m not the only one.

Photo Sources:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/25/02/c1/2502c190ce4ffe0d4025d…

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJbWr1nVAAAsuZZ.jpg

Adrianna is a freshman majoring in psychology on a pre-med track at Boston College. She is really passionate about health and fitness and is trying to make it in Boston as a New York Sports fan. She can be found yelling at the TV a little too loudly when hockey is on, eating honey crisp apples, drooling over dylan o brien, or convincing people, that despite her 5'0 height, she is really 18 years old.
Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.