Disclaimer: Please read with caution. This article is meant to be a funny satire. The opinions expressed in this article do not reflect the authors’ or Her Campus BC’s feelings towards or positions on any of the topics covered below. Thank you for your understanding.
Recently I’ve seen a lot of posts about all the things you can do when you’re single and they made me feel a little left out because like quite a few people, I’m in a relationship. Here are some benefits of being in a relationship!
1. Consistent cuddles. You need a hug? They can provide one! If you need one reason to have a boyfriend, this should be it!
2. Access to a whole new wardrobe! “New”/permanently borrowed sweater each week? They can’t say no!
3. You’re always right! We love hearing you say, “Yes the teacher who gave you the pop quiz is the devil!” or “That girl was totally trying to prevent you from getting the last muffin in the Rat by not holding that door!” After all, isn’t dating all about him agreeing with you?
4. He’s always right! Don’t risk an argument once you’ve achieved your ideal relationship status. You don’t need ideas now, just agree with him! So he has completely different views on politics, that’ll probably never come up again in conversation, right?
5. No need to impress anyone! You have a boyfriend so sweatpants it is. No need for hair brushes either. Let it frizz, let it frizz, can’t tame it back anymore!
6. Only need to know one name! I mean you have a boyfriend so you don’t need friends. Got all the moral support you need. No need for male friends or female friends or family! All about the relationship, right?
In all honestly, it’s nice being in a relationship but it shouldn’t take over your life. It’s another thing to balance in your life and it can be awesome with some work. The support you get is great (cuddles are nice too). It’s nice having someone who will bite the bullet and go to that musical with you or listen to you vent about a pop quiz or borrow their sweatshirt. It’s great knowing you have someone on your side, but the thing is being single is great AND being in a relationship is great…with the right person. Being in a relationship so you feel less lonely should not be the main reason for your relationship. You have friends and family for that!
Regardless of your relationship status, you should be confident in who you are. Make sure you still pursue your interests and your dreams. With all these BC marriage statistics floating around, it’s hard not to feel the pressure to find your soulmate in Mac or a mod or a philosophy class. If it happens in college, well done. If it happens after college, great. If it happened before college, cool. Either way, living your life to get a relationship is not good. Be you and you’ll be surprised what life has in store for you!