Being a Vegetarian at BC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

The biggest complaint that I hear about BC Dining is not necessarily the quality of the food, but rather the lack of variety. Now take away half of the available options and there you see the challenge that is presented to vegetarians (and forget about being vegan or having to eat gluten-free!).

When I tell people that I’m a vegetarian the most frequent response I hear is “OMG, I don’t even understand how you can do that, I could never give up [insert favorite mouth-watering meat dish here]”.  It definitely is a challenge, not so much because I’m missing out on certain foods, but because the BC meal plan makes it difficult to have a healthy, balanced diet without skipping out on necessary nutrients.

Because of the lack of juicy hamburgers, grilled chicken, and savory steaks, the most important thing for a vegetarian is to remember to include protein in their diet. Eggs, cheese, beans, tofu, and soymilk are all good choices but I would argue that the cups of Chobani with their magical 14 grams of protein per serving are God’s gift to vegetarians.  So you can imagine my despair (that I’m sure I share with at least 98.9% of the female population of BC) when I returned to discover it was missing from the fridges!  And although I appreciate the effort, the new yoghurt bars just aren’t the same… the Greek yogurt lacks flavor and it is almost impossible to discern how much is in a serving with no nutrition facts in sight.

Chobani wasn’t the only thing missing from the fridges. The prepackaged fruit and vegetables that were perfect for a snack between meals are also banished to those evil mini marts (admittedly a great idea but I now need to budget my precious Residential Dining Bucks for Hillside visits). The boxed organic vegan meals were also nowhere to be found (after discussions with the nutritionist some of these have thankfully been replaced).

These prepackaged meals become useful on the weekends when it seems that BC Dining forgets that vegetarians exist. Simply putting a carrot symbol next to pizza and fries on the menu doesn’t make them fantastic options… most vegetarians like to eat healthily too.

OK… end rant. Here are a few of my personal tips for the BC veggie lovers out there:

1. Go to Addie’s: They have fantastic salads that offer a variety of options and give you a break from the repetitive salad bar. I also highly recommend the beans and rice for some added protein; they are surprisingly delicious and perfect for a chilly fall evening.

2. Ask for a veggie burger: They are always available and even though the Mac employees may grumble, don’t feel bad.  Also, insider tip: at Healthapalooza this year there was a BC Dining tent with samples of different veggie burgers for everyone to try and they are going to take the favorite and serve it at all the dining halls!  And after Thanksgiving break there will be a burger bar in Mac featuring these burgers complete with a variety of yummy toppings! (Yes, I am very excited about this).

3. Eat off-campus in Cleveland Circle:  Sometimes you just need a break; get a burrito at Chipotle with no meat in it or choose from Boloco’s vegetarian options (hello Eagle Bucks!) or my personal favorite: Fin’s spicy vegetable fried rice (they deliver!).

Photo Source:
www.nourishedkitchen.com

Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.