This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

In case you didn’t know BC is spending $800 million in the next 10 years to improve campus! Unfortunately that will be some time before we actually see the improvements, but here are some of things you can look forward to.

1. Connell Recreation Center

Say goodbye to the non air-conditioned, oddly shaped, always crowded Rec Plex! It’s time BC updates its gym and accommodates to its very active student population. The new 200,000 square foot Rec Center will include a fitness center, a pool, a track, basketball courts, and even a rock wall!

2. 4 New Academic Buildings

One will be Stokes Commons, an 85,000 square-foot academic facility to be used as an interim student center and dining hall. The second will be a 125,000 square-foot academic facility for the humanities. Third is a 75,000 square-foot facility to house the Graduate School of Social Work and the Connell School of Nursing. Lastly a 100,000 square-foot Institute for Integrated Sciences building, to support BC’s scientific research to enhance collaboration among physics, chemistry and biology faculty.

3. More Housing

Since most students face the daunting thought of only 3 years of housing and finding a house off campus or appealing BC will be working on giving more students the 4 full years living on campus. They plan to add 610 beds of undergraduate housing. That will increase the total of BC students living on campus to more than 90%, exceeding all other colleges or universities in Boston. A potential controversy may arise with 420 beds on the current More Hall site and 175 beds on Lower Campus, will enable the replacement of Edmonds and several mod units.

4. University Center

Something BC has been lacking is a central student center.  A 285,000 square-foot university center on Lower Campus will accommodate BC’s 230 student organizations, provide dining and conference space for students and faculty, and allow the expansion and upgrade of Robsham Theater.

5. Brighton Athletic Center

Finally, a place for Intramurals to use! The Brighton Athletic Center will include a 1,500-seat baseball and 500-seat softball field, as well as a multi-purpose field for intramural sports, and a field house for track and tennis on the Brighton Campus.

Can’t wait to see these changes!

Vanessa is a senior at Boston College studying Economics and Communications. She is proud to be the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Boston College!