The BC Difference: Men and Women for Others

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Last week, I was struggling to make a decision.  I got picked off the waitlist to attend a Kairos retreat, but it was also the same weekend as Relay for Life.  On the one hand, I may never get a chance to attend Kairos, a religious retreat that everyone swears is life changing.  On the other hand, I was really excited to attend Relay for the first time, where I was helping out with two teams.  While I was weighing the pros and cons of each (I chose Kairos in the end), I kept thinking to myself, “Only at BC would I be agonizing over two Jesuit-y weekend plans.”

I wold hope that most everyone at BC is aware of our Jesuit identity, as to me, it seems pretty evident around campus, and something that sets the Heights apart from the other prestigious unversities across the country.  It’s not even that my BC friends are necessarily more religious than my friends at other schools, for instance, but there is something about the Jesuit ideology of being men and women for others that seems to seep into us in a very unique way. 

St. Ignatius was always emphatic that we should give thanks for the gifts we have received, and use our talents to guide how we live our lives.  All of us at BC are lucky just to be here, and it seems that the majority of students recognize St. Ignatius’ emphasis on using talents for the greater good and do something to give back.

When I was home over Winter Break, I was discussing Spring Break plans with some of my friends from home.  Many of them were doing crazy Spring Break trips throughout the Caribbean, but I told my friends that I wasn’t sure what my plans were, since some of my roommates were going on Appalachia service trips.  They were shocked to hear this, responding with lines like, “They’re spending their Spring Break volunteering?!”  I had never viewed this as strange, since countless students spend their Winter, Spring, and Summer Breaks going on trips like Appa, Arrupe, and Lynch School programs, but for the first time I wondered if this was something that separates BC from other schools. 

I, for one, definitely feel a pressure sometimes to give back, but with other activities I’m involved in and doing school work, I never feel like there’s time.  Of course, this is a pretty awesome pressure to be feeling from your peers in college, as compared to most others out there!  The great number of students who volunteer is a nice motivator for the rest of us. 

BC even makes it easy with the large number of organizations on campus dedicated to helping to those less fortunate than us: Best Buddies, Campus School Volunteers, 4Boston, and Special Olympics.  There’s even a program that connects the students with the fantastic Jesuits on campus.  If you’re interested in learning more about BC’s Jesuit background, sign up for one of the Lunches With Jesuits!   You get together at St. Mary’s to not only eat delicious free food, but more importantly share in conversation with other students along with one of our favorite Jesuits!

So let’s keep it up and make Ignatius proud, collegiettes!

Photo Sources
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/02/12/catholic_symbols_stir_diverse_feelings_at_bc/
http://www.bc.edu/offices/ministry/socialjustice/appalachia.html

Julianne is an Ohio native studying communication at Boston College with a concentration in journalism. She got involved with Her Campus BC when the chapter launched in December 2010. She began as an editor and contributing writer, and since has moved up the ranks to Campus Correspondent. Aside from working for Her Campus, Julianne is a certified personal trainer at Boston College's Flynn Recreational Complex and teaches group fitness as well. During her sophomore year, Julianne was a part of the Arrupe Program at BC and traveled to Guatemala, learning about the culture, political, social, economic, and religious issues of the country. Her goals post graduation include writing for a health and fitness magazine or working in communications for college or professional athletics. As for now, however, she is enjoying life at the University she loves so much! An avid hockey and football fan, one can always find Julianne in the stands rooting on BC and the Boston Bruins! Other hobbies include running, yoga, cooking, baking, and photography.