Ask HC BC: Nineteen Going on Forty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Dear HC BC,

As my twentieth birthday approaches, I am totally freaking out.  I feel like I don’t have anything figured out yet.  I haven’t completely decided on my major, I don’t know what I want to do after graduation, and I’m single.  At my age, my parents were already dating and both had serious jobs.  I’ve heard of a midlife crisis, but am I crazy for having a quarter life crisis?

— Nineteen Going on Forty

Dear Nineteen Going on Forty,

As someone who is turning twenty in a week, trust me when I tell you that you’re not alone.  Twenty seems so old, and it can be really stressful!  But before the anxiety turns your hair gray prematurely, take a deep breath.  In terms of picking out a major and a career, be proactive.  Stop by the Career Center and start asking questions.  If you think you might be interested in something, find a professor in the department that would be willing to sit down with you and talk to them about their experiences.  This can open your eyes to new possibilities, and there is always a chance that the professor would be willing to introduce you to someone in the field who could be of more help.  If you want to opt out of the hook up culture and find a serious relationship, put yourself out there a little bit.  Maybe consider joining some new clubs or striking up a conversation with someone in a favorite class.  A common interest can turn into a conversation over lunch in a snap, which is a perfect first way to start something!  All of this can be really scary, but try to relax and enjoy it.  It just means that you’re not willing to settle for something you’re not 100% into, and there are still tons of opportunities open to you!

Happy almost birthday!

HC Love,

HCBC

Have questions of your own? Email us at hcbcadvice@gmail.com!!

Photo Sources:

http://www.amatosauce.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/sad+birthday.jpg

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.