Ask HC BC: Friend Zoned

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Dear HC BC, 

I’ve had a crush on this friend of mine since the first week of school.  He was one of the first friends I made here at BC, and I always thought he was really cute and nice.  I thought there was a chance that something would happen between us, but last week, when a friend made a comment that we would make a cute couple, he laughed and said that would never happen because I’m like his little sister.  How can I get him to see me differently?

-Friend Zoned

Dear Friend Zoned,

That is definitely a tough situation to be in.  Unfortunately, there is no way to make him like you, but there are a few other options.  For one, you could just be completely open and tell him that you’re interested in him.  It might be awkward if he tells you he doesn’t feel the same way, but there is also a chance that he will want to give it a shot.  You could also try to just act flirtier without necessarily saying something.  It is not as bold, but it can still get your point across.  Finally, you could always put the situation on the backburner for a little and see what else is out there.  You said that he was one of your first friends at BC and that you had a crush on him since the beginning of school, so there is a chance you’ve closed yourself off from other guys out there.  Without knowing it, you might just like this friend because he is something comfortable and safe, especially when you were in an unfamiliar situation.  There is nothing wrong with checking out some other options.  And who knows, maybe when he sees you hanging out with other guys, he’ll realize he actually likes you! 

Good luck!

HC BC

Photo Source:

http://www.gagful.com/uploads/2012_9/1348109010_Friend_Zone_gag.jpg

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.