Ask HC BC: Better Without an Ex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Dear HC BC,

I recently broke up with my boyfriend of a couple months and although we weren’t necessary in love, I can’t help but feel like I made a huge mistake in ending our relationship.  I really miss having a boyfriend.  He did things that made me mad sometimes, but I feel like I should just look past that and take him back.  I don’t know if I’ll find anyone anytime soon that would treat me any differently anyway…please help!

Sincerely,

Lonely Heart

Dear Lonely Heart,

Let me start by saying that you’re not alone in the way you feel.  Loneliness gets ahold of everyone now and then and sticks around like the plague.  That being said, you should also know that this type of loneliness after a breakup is not permanent; you’ll start to feel better as soon as you accept what’s happened and try to move forward from there.

You and your ex obviously had some good times, but you ended it for a reason, right?  Whether it was because he didn’t text you first enough of the time, or because you caught him accidentally checking out that other girl at the Plex, he pushed your relationship to the edge.  Now, discrepancies like this can potentially be worked on and looked past, if you think that he is right for you.  Don’t take someone who isn’t right back just because you miss having a boyfriend.  You need to miss the actual person, not the idea.  Once you’ve accepted that maybe the two of you just weren’t a right match, you can confidently start searching for true love with your perfect man.  And don’t worry, I promise you that he is out there.  I know you’re feeling down now, but keep your head up and focus on you.  There’s no shame in being single, and you should use this opportunity to put your energy into things that make you happy.  You deserve the best, and in time, the best will come along.

Good luck!

Love,

Her Campus BC

Niloufar is a senior at Boston College, majoring in French and English. 
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.