An American in Paris: Adieu Paris!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

I can’t believe it, but the time has come to say “au revoir.”  These past five months have flown by and I’ve had the time of my life in this amazing city.  It’s safe to say that I’ve seen and done more during my semester abroad than in my entire life.  I’ve consumed insane amounts of bread, wine, and cheese and have tried nearly every kind of French pastry.  I’ve checked off all the items on the “Paris Must-See” list.  I’ve made my way to Sacre-Coeur, Notre Dame, the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, and the Arc de Triomphe multiple times.  

I’ve noshed on the “Best Baguette,” sipped Angelina’s famous hot chocolate, and ogled Laduree’s extensive macaroon selection on more than one occasion.  I’ve made tons of new French and American friends who have helped me make the most of my time abroad.  I’ve experienced hard-core French techno at the clubs, ladies’ night with male strippers at Queen, and salsa dancing into the wee hours of the morning.  I’ve explored the lesser-known areas of Paris and discovered my own favorite places to eat, drink, dance, and just relax with a café crème.  

Paris, once an unknown, scary, and foreign city, has become my home and I’m sad that I’ll be leaving in two weeks.  There’s so much I’ll miss once I land back in the good old United States, but luckily I have tons of photos, souvenirs, and memories that will serve as constant reminders of my time in France.  I’m pretty sure my first few weeks home will be completely devoted to scrapbooking.

The other night my parents, who were visiting me in Paris, threw me an early 21st birthday party and invited all of my friends.  While we were having cocktails and hors d’oeuvres in their apartment, my dad asked all of us what we considered our top three moments in Paris.  Silence.  We were stumped.  Of all the incredible adventures we’ve had, none of us could even begin to try and limit them to three.  The question has stuck with me ever since.  As my last blog from abroad, I think it’s only appropriate to reminisce, look back on the last five months, and put together a list of my top moments in Paris.  Sorry dad, there are more than three.  And so, my journey abroad comes to a bittersweet end.  Adieu Paris, Bonjour Etats-Unis!

Top Paris Memories:

• All the “firsts” (first trip to Notre Dame, Sacre-Coeur, the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, etc.)
  • Sitting with friends in a café for hours on end and feeling totally French
  • Having my friends and family visit me and being able to show off my Paris expertise as I gave them a tour around the city
  • Seine lunch cruise on Easter Sunday with my best friend Annie
  • Ladies’ night at Queen
  • Walking along the Seine with my friends on the first real spring day with a Berthillon ice cream cone in hand
  • All my dinners with Madame, my French mom
  • My 21st birthday party and celebrating Parisian-style with my parents and friends
  • Wine tasting class and learning the “right” way to drink wine
  • The super secret Hermes sale where I bought my first ever Hermes scarf, one of my best souvenirs from Paris
  • Standing in the freezing cold with Mia as we tore off chunks of “The Best Baguette” for the first time and watched as the steam emanate from the warm bread
  • Day trips outside Paris to Chartres, Giverny, and Versailles

Photo Sources:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Giannanz/DSC03398.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af264/miguelregalado/arc-de-triomphe.jpg

Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.