All About Body Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Big surprise, it’s another article on body confidence (but maybe with a slight twist)! On the cover of every health and fashion magazine, splashed across our TV screens we see beautiful women expressing love for themselves and confidence in their bodies. Yet, why does every female still feel overwhelmingly insecure about the way they look? Why are we constantly comparing ourselves to others?

Well, here’s the thing, right after the commercial about “what will you gain when you lose is the new Victoria’s Secret campaign. Thin models prancing around a dimly lit area with flashing lights and close up shots of the “sexy” new look. Now, I’m not seeking to criticize their bodies or their shape because, lets face it, they are beautiful. However, I do criticize the media and society for trying to give beauty and sex appeal a concrete identity.

It seems hypocritical that you can say all shapes and sizes of women are equal when advertisements promote a certain ideal woman for a brand or are looking to attract a specific demographic. Still, you might argue that the curvy woman is making a comeback, just look at the Hanes commercials or Lane Bryant catalogs. So basically now, instead of envying the petite size 2, society praises the woman with big boobs and thick thighs. Hip-hop lyrics even ask how far they can drop it low. But, isn’t loving the curvy woman over the thin supermodel still a criticism of a certain body type?

What if you have a flat a** and a slight muffin top? What if you’re rocking thunder thighs and barely fit into a B-cup? Where’s your hip-hop song or spread on the cover of Sports Illustrated? We describe ourselves as curvy, thin, athletic, petite, coke bottled, apple-bottomed women when we should be defining ourselves as beautiful, confident women that do not need a label on our bodies to feel secure about them. We have to stop trying to fit into what the media has already put a stamp of approval on. So don’t look in the mirror and wish to fit in, look to appreciate what makes you stand out. Because whether you are thin, curvy, or anywhere on the large, gray spectrum in between, you are beautiful.

Photo Sources:

http://www.seven-health.com/2014/12/body-confidence/

https://www.psychologies.co.uk/national-body-confidence-week

http://www.finerminds.com/happiness/start-loving-your-body/

I am a freshman at Boston College pursuing a double-major in Political Science and Communications. Although some might say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, I thrive off of it. As a new writer to the Her Campus BC team, I am excited to provide social and political criticisms that will, hopefully, give attention to the words left unsaid.
Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.