Abroad Eats Around Boston: European Edition

One of the best parts about studying abroad is being able to try out the new cuisine in your host country as well as the other places you choose to travel throughout the adventure. From personal experience, I know I truly enjoyed my time abroad in Italy and the other European countries I visited because I went around with both open eyes and an open stomach. Just because you have not studied abroad yet, are not studying abroad anymore, or chose not to study abroad, that does not mean you cannot enjoy expanding your palate. In Boston alone there are plenty of restaurants of different cuisines that will satisfy an eager and hungry person. Your culinary adventures do not require a passport; in this case, a Charlie Card will do just fine. Here are some great places around Boston reminiscent of a European study abroad experience. 

Go to Newton Centre instead of Ireland: Terry O’Reilly’s

Open 7 Days a week 11:00am-1:00am

45 Union Street, Newton, MA 02459

There is no doubt that Boston has its fair share of Irish pubs; in my opinion, the Irish history of Boston adds a certain component to our city. One of the best Irish pubs I have been to, however, is right in our backyard in Newton Centre: Terry O'Reilly's. This family owned “local” is somewhere you can go to enjoy great food, great drinks, great company and great live music. The staff is also there to offer draft and food recommendations There is no better way to explain the certain spirit of Terry O’Reilly’s than by simply saying, “Slainte.”

Go to Brookline instead of Spain: Barcelona Wine Bar

Open 7 days a week. Weekday dinner hours and weekend brunch hours, too!

1700 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02446

Whether it is the sangria, tapas, paella or rustic vintage yet polished atmosphere, Barcelona is a special Spanish tapas restaurant that always draws me back for more. Vegetarians and carnivores alike will love the large selection of tapas and main course dishes. The staff is knowledgeable about Spanish wines on the menu. The outdoor patio is a must when the weather is warm. Barcelona even has decadent churros with melted dark chocolate for dipping as a dessert option that reminds abroad students of their late night cravings in Spain.

Go to Brookline instead of Belgium: The Publick House

Open Monday-Friday 5:00pm-2:00am, Saturday-Sunday 12:00pm-2:00 am

1648 Beacon St, Brookline, MA 02446

Go to The Publick House website and you will instantly see a list of accolades the restaurant has won that would make any beer lover and foodie happy: “Best Mac & Cheese in US," “One of the top ten places in the world to have beer," and “Boston’s Best Frites.” Just as Belgium is known for its beer in Europe, The Publick House is known for its quality draft list throughout New England. I must say I am a fan of the cider on tap as well as the KILLER Mac & Cheese. With an air similar to beer halls throughout Europe, the Publick House is a go-to and is easily located right down the B-line.

Go to Chestnut Hill instead of France-Aquitaine

Open 7 Days a week 11:30am-3:00pm, 5:30pm-10:00pm

11 Boylston St, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467

This modern French bistro is within walking-distance (for those who enjoy a decent walk) from BC campus and features some French favorities. French trained Chef Michael is able to bring Paris to our Boston suburb by mixing his French culinary education with local products and modern twists at Aquitaine's Chestnut Hill location. The menu offers a wide variety of French plates, hand-selected wines as well as some French inspired cocktails. If you are intimidated by the selection and want the perfect pairing, a Prixe-Fixe menu is also offered.

…or go to Coolidge Corner- Paris Creperie

Sunday-Thursday 10:00am-10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 10:00am-11:00pm

278 Harvard St, Brookline, MA 02446...also be on the lookout for their food truck!

If Aquitaine is out of your price range and you still want to enjoy a taste of France, the Paris Creperie is a great place where you can indulge either your sweet or savory side. Right in the heart of Coolidge Corner, the size and selection of this creperie will remind you of an intimate French café. If one of the many menu options do not please you, you can always create your own crepe! Warning: This place is addicting and has drawn me back several times. I often cannot decide between sweet or savory and therefore suggest going with someone else and ordering 2-3 sweet and savory crepes for a delicious selection.