5 Spooky Halloween Cocktails

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

At Her Campus BC, we are holiday junkies. No matter the occasion – birthday, Christmas, St. Patrick’s Day, Cinco de Mayo – you can count on us to break out the festive decorations, whip up some delicious food and drinks, and celebrate in style. So in the spirit of Halloween, we’ve scoured the web for five spooky concoctions that are sure to make your Halloweekend a little more spooktacular. 

Each drink features a different type of alcohol, so find your favorite and give the recipe a try. If it goes well, then show us the final product by tweeting a picture to @hercampusbc. Cheers!

Black Devil Martini (courtesy of The Cooking Channel)

If rum is your libation of choice and you are looking for a festive black and orange cocktail, then this is your drink. All you need are four ingredients to bring the black devil to life.

Ingredients:

2 oz. dark rum

½ oz. dry vermouth

Black olive

Orange sugar

Directions:

Wet the rim of a chilled martini glass (or any other fun drinking glass you might have lying around) and dip in orange sugar. Stir and strain the rum and vermouth into the glass. Garnish with a black olive.  

Tru Blood-Tini (courtesy of Voodoo Tiki Tequila)

To all our True Blood loving collegiettes out there, this one is for you. We guarantee that this tastes better than the True Blood drink that HBO sells in their online shop. You simply can’t go wrong with tequila, lime juice, agave nectar, and raspberry liqueur. It’s essentially a raspberry margarita, with a hauntingly delicious twist.

Ingredients:

1 ½ oz. tequila

½ oz. raspberry liqueur

1 oz. fresh lime juice

½ oz. agave nectar

*Optional – raspberries for garnish

Directions:

Combine all of the ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake hard to break the ice and then strain into a martini glass. Garnish with raspberries if you so desire.

[pagebreak]

Candy Corn Cocktail (courtesy of Betty Crocker)

It’s not Halloween without candy corn. Whether you’re a fan of the delectably sweet treat or not, you’ve got to try infusing your own vodka. It’s fun and makes a cocktail that all your friends will want the recipe for. And just a tip – the longer you leave the vodka and candy corn to infuse, the sweeter it will be.

Ingredients:

1 ½ cups vodka

1 cup candy corn

¾ cup pineapple juice

Ice

Directions:

To start, you need to make the candy corn-infused vodka. Mix the vodka and candy corn in an airtight container and let stand at least four hours.

After four hours, strain the vodka to remove candy. For each serving (this recipe makes three!), you are going to place ½ cup infused vodka and ¼ cup pineapple juice in a cocktail shaker. Add ice, shake, and pour into any glass you want. If you want to get super festive, garnish each glass with additional candy corn.

The Brain Hemorrhage (courtesy of Divine Dinner Party)

What’s more spooky and scary than eating brains? These brain hemorrhage shots are a ton of fun to make for a big group of people. And while they look absolutely disgusting, they actually taste good… we swear! If you decide to make these for Halloweekend, we have one tip. Make sure you use very cold alcohol – you’ll get the best hemorrhage effect that way.

Ingredients:

1 oz. peach or strawberry schnapps

1 tsp. Bailey’s Irish Cream

Splash of grenadine

Directions:

Pour the schnapps into a shot glass. Slowly pour the Bailey’s over the schnapps, but do not mix! Wait just a second and the Bailey’s will begin to “curdle” and look like a brain. Pour a splash of grenadine over the top to look like blood and voilà – you have yourself a hemorrhaging brain shot!

[pagebreak]

Poison Apple Punch (courtesy of 12 Bottle Bar)

Sometimes we just want a fun, nonalcoholic drink that tastes delicious and gets us in the holiday spirit. Maybe you have a midterm to study for, so slamming brain hemorrhage shots isn’t the smartest thing. If that’s the case, you’ve got to try this apple punch. Don’t worry, it’s not actually poison – no evil Queen is trying to poison you with an apple and steal your heart.

Ingredients

2 parts spiced apple juice

• Apple juice
  • Cinnamon sticks
  • Cloves

1 part ginger beer

½ part raspberry syrup

Directions

To make the spiced apple juice, bring regular apple juice to a boil along with 3 cinnamon sticks and about a teaspoon of whole cloves. You can always add more spice if you want a spicier apple base. Once the juice has reached a boil, cover it and remove from heat until it is cool.

Add all ingredients to a punch bowl and stir. Garnish with cinnamon, cloves, or apples – whatever you are in the mood for!

Photo Sources:

http://modernskillet.com/tag/b…

http://personalrecipe.com/cock…

http://www.drinkoftheweek.com/…

http://noshon.it/recipes/poiso…

http://www.voodootiki.com/voodoo-tiki-tequila-halloween-cocktails-2012/

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum