5 Easy Ways to: Stay In Touch While Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Between the time difference, classes, and the all the traveling you’ll be doing, staying in touch with your friends and family back home while you’re abroad can be tough.  Here are five easy ways to make sure that you get the most out of your experience while including those you love who aren’t with you.

1. Set up a Skype Schedule:  Sure, it might be easy to go back to your dorm after a day of classes when you’re at BC and spontaneously log onto Skype and instantly see your family or friends from home.  But with the different time zone and the schedule you’ll be on, it will be nearly impossible for spontaneity to work.  So, once you get settled and into a routine that you know you’ll stick with, message your family and friends back in the States and tell them what times you seem to be home.  See what matches up with their schedules and set a regular date!
  2. Send Emails:  Emailing is an easy form of communication that will not only not disrupt your family and friends from sleep, but it will allow you to get in touch with all of them at once to let them know that you are okay and what you’ve been up to.  Tell your parents how often you expect to be sending them emails so that they don’t worry if they don’t hear from you for a couple of days.
  3. Download a Free App:  If you have an iPhone, there are numerous free apps you can download that will allow you to call and text your family and friends free of charge, even internationally!  My personal favorite is Viber, and as long as you are connected to wi-fi, you can use iMessage.
  4. Set Up a Call Schedule with Your Parents:  Let’s be honest: when we’re abroad our parents are going to worry about our safety more than anything else.  While it’s easy to check in with them when you’re at BC, that’s not the case anymore.  International calling and texting is expensive, so checking in every day isn’t really a viable option.  Before you go abroad let your parents know how often you think you’ll reasonably be able to call to check in, and make sure to stick to what you decide on.
  5. Blog and Post Pictures:  The people you left behind in the states are going to want to live vicariously through you, so make sure you take lots of pictures and SHARE THEM!  You’re going to be asked to see all of the pictures and to tell all of the stories when you get home any way, so you might as well give everyone what they’re looking for now!  Blog about your many adventures and post pictures of your travels on Facebook and Instagram.

Studying abroad is an exciting experience, so make sure you keep those you leave behind in the loop and allow them to indulge in your travels as well.  Besides, after living in a foreign country for a few months, you’ll want to know that you have a day and time to look forward to speaking to those you miss.

Photo Sources

http://next.inman.com/2012/07/11-ways-and-reasons-to-keep-in-touch/

http://weheartit.com/entry/474…

Lauren Ruvo is a sophomore at Boston College who is double majoring is Human Development and Communications. Lauren is originally from Las Vegas and doesn't think she will ever get used to the winters in Boston. Lauren writes for The Heights as well as the Boston College branch of Her Campus. In her free time, Lauren loves shopping, traveling, spending time with friends and family, spin class, and cooking. She is very excited about joining the Her Campus team!
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.