4 Healthy Ways to Indulge in Cereal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Most American kids grow up watching Frosted Flakes and Trix Cereal ads on Nickelodeon, begging mom to run out and get the latest sugary craze so they can look like the cool kids on TV.  We may now be grown up Collegiettes, but that doesn’t mean we can’t still enjoy a good bowl of cereal for breakfast. 

Cereal gets a bad reputation.  It generally seems to be either too sugary to be healthy for you or so healthy that it tastes (and often looks) like dog food.  But I refuse to believe that my favorite childhood breakfast has to be “bad.”  To me, there’s nothing like waking up on a lazy Saturday morning, pouring myself a nice big bowl of cereal, and sitting down to watch some TV.  It’s just like childhood, but instead of cartoons, I’m watching trashy Real Housewives reruns or catching up with the Kardashians. 

So here are some tasty and healthy cereal options to consider when you’re craving a bowl of the good stuff:

Fiber One 80 Calorie Chocolate Cereal

You might have seen this new cereal advertised on TV lately.  Not only does this option contain 9 grams of fiber per serving, but it manages to pack amazing chocolate taste into only 80 calories.  If I didn’t know any better, I honestly would have thought I was eating Cocoa Puffs – that’s how much I loved it.  And on top of the good taste, Fiber One Chocolate makes your milk turn into chocolate milk by the time you reach the bottom of the bowl.  What’s not to love?

Kashi Go Lean Crunch

The best part about Kashi Go Lean Crunch lies within, you guessed it: the crunch.  For every three bites, you usually find one huge cluster crunch to make the experience that much more exciting.  With 9 grams of fiber and 8 grams of protein per serving, this healthy, low calorie cereal will keep you full until lunchtime.  It’s got a slight cinnamon/honey taste to keep the flavor interesting as well. 

Special K Fruit and Yogurt

This cereal is one of the newer additions to the Special K cereal family, but it manages to pack dried fruit and a whole lot of flavor into each bowl.  They’ve managed to make the corn flake taste of Special K even more interesting, leaving you wishing the bowl didn’t have to end.  Yogurt chips are also all the rage in healthy snacking these days, so you’re sure to love the tart strawberry taste mixed with the crunch of the yogurt pieces. 

Barbara’s Peanut Butter Puffins

I’ve actually only ever managed to find these delicious miniature nugget size pieces of heaven once, but Peanut Butter Puffins are a cereal I’ve met in my dreams ever since.  Literally, I’ve dreamt about them.  The company website describes Peanut Butter Puffins as, “Super rich flavor meets super crunch.”  With 110 calories per serving, and a surprisingly low amount of sugar, this is a perfect peanut buttery “treat cereal” without the guilt. 

Photo Sources:
http://www.seriouseats.com/images/2013/01/20130127-fiber-one-chocolate-post.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zWUqACMzL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
http://www.specialk.com/cereals/fruit-and-yogurt/
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5162AWbc6aL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Megan is a Junior at Boston College in the College of Arts & Sciences. She is majoring in Communication and Minoring in Irish Studies.
Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."