2013 Academy Awards: The Oscar Rundown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Oscar Fashion Police

Admit it—we all have that love/hate relationship with the pre-show fashion commentators and critics.  We hate the input, but need the guidance.  All of us, at some point, murmur, “Ah, she’s so annoying,” and yet it’s completely impossible for us to change the channel.  Regardless, here’s our take on some of the looks from the Academy Award red carpet.

Halle Berry claims that she wanted to look like a “James Bond girl” and that’s exactly how she looks.  As usual, this bombshell is a powerhouse on the red carpet, rocking a low v-cut dress, with silver and black sequin stripes and a fitted bodice.  On a less positive note, though, her hair confuses me.  You want to look like James Bond’s date, not like you just ran away from an explosion.

A personal favorite for everyone, it seems, is Charlize Theron.  I’ll admit I was a bit nervous about her recent buzz cut for Fury Road, but this South African princess looked stunning in a white Dior peplum dress.  I’m obsessed with this neckline, and impressed with Theron’s decision to make this classic-looking dress more progressive with her hair and modest jewelry.

The dress everyone is talking about it and, I’m sorry guys, but I disagree.  Kelly Osbourne, Giuliana Rancic, and a number of others carried on about the beauty and prestige of Anne Hathaway’s look and I’m here to point out the obvious—there are two things staring us straight in the face that are distracting me from considering the dress at all.  Hathaway told Ryan Seacrest that she hadn’t decided to wear this dress until three hours before her arrival.  The hair and makeup look great, girl, but try to remember a bra next time cause I’m seeing a little too much.

In case you needed some post-Valentine reassurance that there are young power-couples out there, Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan brought it tonight.  Both dressed in classic black—for him, the tux, for her, the lace—and Dewan looked gorgeous, hugging her adorable (and giant!) baby bump.  Spectators commented on the adorable looks the two constantly shot at each other between cameras and microphones. It’s nice to think there’s some real love out there on the red carpet.

My personal favorite outfit award, for the second year in a row, goes to Jessica Chastain.  I really didn’t think she could top her Alexander McQueen dress from last year, but she’s done it again.  She’s everything us redheads aspire to be, dressed in an outfit that screams, “I have the most awesome color scheme.”  Her dress is Armani, lined with shimmering silver, and perfectly tailored to her body.  The red lips pull the nude look together… I’m just too jealous.

Quvenzhané Wallis was looking the most fabulous with her midnight blue dress and doggy purse.  Quvenzhané told Seacrest, “I liked [my dress] because it was sparkly and fluffy. This is a special dog [purse], renamed after my puppy I have at home… Sammy.” Spunky, adorable and 9-years-old, Quvenzhané is officially the youngest actress ever to be nominated for an Oscar.

[pagebreak]

The Presenters and Performers

I’ll start off by saying that if you didn’t get a chance to see Channing Tatum dance with Charlize Theron, YouTube that right now.  It’s awesome.  The only thing that made the dance even better was Sethe MacFarlane singing.  The dance was followed-up by a sock-puppet sketch of the recent Denzel movie Flight, oh and then another dance with Daniel Radcliffe and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.  I repeat… you gotta YouTube this stuff.

Dame Shirley surprised attacked me with a dream come true for me and Bond fans across the globe.  Looking completely Bond-esque in her gold dress, Shirley brought us all back to the Goldfinger days with her flawless singing and sparkling (literally) confidence.

Other highlights include Katherine Zeta Jones reperforming Chicago’s “All That Jazz” (amazing), Jennifer Hudson’s dream girlness, and a Les Miserables cast performance.  Oh, and an appearance from our lovely first lady!

[pagebreak]

Award Highlights

Best Supporting Actor- “Christoph Waltz”

Best Animated Movie- “Brave”

Best Cinematography– “Life of Pi”

Best Visual Effects– “Life of Pi”

Best Live Action Short Film– “Curfew”, Sean Christensen (like, watch this)

Best Makeup and Styling– “Les Miserables”

Best Actress- Jennifer Lawrence in “Silver Linings Playbook” (shocker)

Best Supporting Actress– Anne Hathaway in “Les Miserables”

Best Picture– “Argo”

Best Actor– Daniel Day-Lewis in “Lincoln”

Best Directing– “Life of Pi”

Best Costume Design– Jacqueline Durran from “Anna Karenina”

Best Documentary Feature– “Searching for Sugar Man”

Best Documentary Short– “Inocente”

Best Film Editing­- “Argo”

Best Music– “Life of Pi”

Best Foreign Language Foreign Film– “Amour” from Austria

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.