13.1 Songs For Your 13.1 Miles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

I’m a wannabe marathon runner.  I’ve done the Central Park long training runs for the ING NYC Marathon. I’ve screamed support for all the people who tackle Heartbreak Hill here in Boston; but I have not run the 26.2 miles all at once.  I believe that it takes small steps to get there and even though I find myself writhing in jealousy when one of my roommates tells me about her 18 mile run with her dad in preparation for Marathon Monday, I will not be joining them on April 15th.  So for those of us who are focusing on smaller races, like the Boston Half Marathon in October, here’s a playlist of 13.1 songs to get you through that 13.1 miles.

1. One Girl Revolution by Superchick: I know I can’t be the only one who remembers this song from Cadet Kelly.  If Hilary Duff can spin rifles to this, you can run an extra lap around campus.

2. I Love It (feat. Charli XCX) by Icona Pop: Excellent example of how the latest party hits can be converted to workout tracks.

3. Fergalicious by Fergie :The Dutchess herself states in this song that she’ll “be up in the gym just workin’ on [her] fitness.”  Need I say more?

4.We Used to Be Friends by The Dandy Warhols: The theme song of my favorite show, Veronica Mars, is always a good pick-me-up.  It’s an empowering feeling, knowing that you’re over past misfortune.

5. Dog Days Are Over by Florence + The Machine: I usually listen to this as the endorphins kick in and the runner’s high starts, when the dog days are over and I’ve hit my stride.  Plus, she says “run” eight times so, yeah, thanks Flo, I will.

6. Can’t Hold Us (Feat. Ray Dalton) by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis: We all know Macklemore is coming to campus now, and many students here have been on the bandwagon before it became cool, but some of probably need to brush up on the rest of his repertoire past “Thrift Shop”.

7. Numb/Encore by Jay-Z and Linkin Park: What is definitely the best known song from their collaboration album, Collision Course, Numb/Encore provides the best of two songs, and is a great motivator.

8. Move Your Body by Beyoncé: This one is endorsed by the FLOTUS herself, Michelle Obama.  It’s a reworked version of Beyoncé’s hit off B’Day, “Get Me Bodied”, and it’s the official theme song of the First Lady’s Let’s Move! campaign to end childhood obesity.  No playlist is really complete without Queen Bey, so why not include a song where she’s literally telling you to get up and move and then drops a patriotic bit at the end?

9. Over the Hills and Far Away by Led Zeppelin : My music tastes developed through my father’s collection, and while he was never a Zeppelin fan, I became one.  This 1973 hit builds up nicely to a strong groove at about 1:30, goes well with the scenic views you’ll be passing around campus, and, quite frankly, is a legendary track.

10. Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind: The ‘90s were a great time, and this song has been on countless movie soundtracks, on the Billboard Top 100 charts, and now, your playlist.

11. Everything Is Alright by Motion City Soundtrack: I usually use running as a stress reliever—it’s the daily grind that really gets to me, and it’s incredibly stifling to tell people over and over in small talk that “I’m fine, having a good day, you?”  Not only are the lyrics pretty on target regarding that issue, the percussion beat is easy to run with and the beats per minute help keep your pace up.

12. 18 Wheeler by P!nk: I could have put a Christina Aguilera or Kelly Clarkson hit here, but I feel like P!nk is too often overlooked, and this is, in my opinion, one of her best songs.

13. Right Here, Right Now by Fatboy Slim: I also heard this song on an episode of Veronica Mars, but it has now become a permanent part of my playlist.  This song reminds me to focus on the here and now when I run, instead of trying to apply the lyrics of some of these other tracks to the drama in my life. 

13.1. Ellie Goulding vs. Jackson 5: I Want You Starry Eyed Mashup by Hulk Mash: And for your bonus song, here’s a ridiculously catchy mix of two well-known singles.

You’ll have to put these songs on repeat in order for the duration to actually last 13.1 miles, but it’s worth it.  During race day, you may just want to put the music away and listen to the crowd cheering you on, but during training,  a good running playlist can be as important as a good sports bra or sturdy sneakers.  So put in your headphones and hit the pavement; I’ll be seeing you on October 13th for the B.A.A. Half Marathon.

Photo Source: Polka Dot Images/Polka Dot/Getty Images

Meaghan Leahy is a 21-year-old native New Yorker and senior at Boston College, whose hips only sometimes lie. When she's not wishing she were as honest as Shakira, she can be found running, Band-ing, or public speaking; in addition to writing for HC BC, she is a member of the Screaming Eagles Marching Band, Word of Mouth, and loves a good lap (or two, or five) around the Res. Meg is passionate about running and fitness, is a trained lifeguard, and works at the campus gym Equipment Desk. A highlight of her Boston College career thus far was being a TA for Intro to Feminisms. She has interned at both Anthropologie and the Supreme Court in Brooklyn, New York, so even though she is pursuing a Communication and English double major with a Women's and Gender studies minor, she is still trying to map it all out. She really, really hopes to graduate with a real job and everything. Please hire her, despite her severe Diet Coke addiction. Her redeeming skills and qualifications can be found on her LinkedIn account.
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.