10 Reasons Why You Should Love Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

When things get crazy with school, work, and everything else that comes with a typical college life, sometimes it is hard to remember why you are wonderful.  Well, I’m here to remind you that you are!  Take some time this C.A.R.E. week to tell yourself why you are so great.

1.  You’re smart.  Really smart, actually.  Okay, so maybe you’re not top of your class, but that’s fine.  BC is a tough school, and you’re here.   That’s saying something.

2.  You’re beautiful.  Maybe you don’t look like a model in a magazine, but there’s nothing wrong with that.  Regardless of what you see in the mirror or how you think you look, in some way, you’re gorgeous.  You might not notice it, but others do.

3.  You’re beautiful on the inside.  Even better than being beautiful on the outside!  You’re a great friend and a really nice person.  You might slip once and a while and do something you regret, but that’s life, and it happens.

4.  You’re unique.  Probably something you don’t hear very often while at BC, huh?  I know, I know- “You all dress the same,” “All girls wear J. Crew everyday,” “You’re such a typical BC girl.”  We may have a bad reputation for all being the same, but that’s not true.  In some way, no matter how big or small, you’re different than everyone else.

5.  You’re the best “you” there has ever been.  Corny, right?  But it’s true!  Think about it – there is not a single other person who is exactly like you, so by default, you win!  Best you in the game, way to go!

6.  You’re making someone smile.  You may not even realize it, but it’s true.  Maybe it’s a roommate who you did something nice for, or someone you simply held the door for one time.  Maybe it’s the cashier in Lower who you smile at every time you go through their line.  Maybe it is just a person you walked by on the way to class today.  Either way, you made someone happy at some point today.

7.  You’re worth more than a couple mistakes.  So, you failed a test.  You were mean to someone.  You did something stupid when you were drunk.  Guess what?  Mistakes happen!  It happens to every single person out there.  There is no use obsessing over something you regret.  Make up for it, learn from it, and move on.

8.  You’re loved.  It might be by your parents, your friends, a significant other, or someone who doesn’t even know you, but either way, you’re loved.  There is someone out there who will look at you and see you for your good and forget about your bad, I promise.

9.  You’re growing.  You’re growing and changing every day.  Maybe you weren’t happy with the person you used to be – that’s okay!  There is always time to change and to learn.

10.  You’re you.  If you don’t love yourself, you can’t really expect other people to love you.  When you’re down on yourself and constantly criticizing yourself, you’re just highlighting the worst parts of yourself for others to see.  I’m not telling you to run around bragging about all of your accomplishments, but don’t put yourself down, either.  You’re better than that, and you’re worth more than that.

Photo Sources:

http://youblush.looklab.dk/unc…

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."