10 Easy Ways To: Take Advantage of Your Mod

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

From the first day we step foot onto campus, we hear about them.  The wild parties, the crazy fun tailgates, the cookouts.  The Mods are a staple of BC life that only a BC student will ever understand.  To an outsider, they’re an eyesore.  But to a BC student, they’re a stunning portrait of college life at its best.  Some have even called Mod life BC’s version of Greek life.

Last year, I lived in Vandy in a room overlooking the Mods.  My roommates and I saw it all.  We know who properly took advantage of their Mods.  Some wowed us, while others… not so much.  Some Mods were always hoppin’, while others’ occupancy was questionable.

So, seniors, I have a request for all of you.  As you know, nearly the entire campus would kill to be in your shoes.  So do us all a favor and use your Mod to its fullest potential.  Some of you may need no inspiration (like my roommates from this summer who are now Mod dwellers), others may not be so ready.  To help everyone out, I’ve listed a few tips on how to properly take advantage of a Mod.  These pointers range from throwing parties to the basics of laundry days.  They’re a few tidbits on Mod life straight from the mouths of past Mod seniors.

1.  The grass is greener, well, nowhere else.  “The Mods’ quads are notably not well kept, but there are few better places to lounge on campus.  Pull out that lawn chair, put out that couch, throw that projector against your Mod and play lawn games relentlessly, and that goes for ALL SEASONS! (The sophomores walking by will be seriously jealous).” – Harvey Simmons

2.  Enjoy your tailgate, but don’t miss the game!  “Tailgates are the best part of any Mod experience.  Ladder golf, corn hole, any and all the tailgating games are super fun.  Let your BC pride shine through and get pumped up to cheer your team on!  Occasionally, I do have to admit we would get a little carried away with tailgating and go late to some of the games.  I do regret that because you can sit in your Mod and drink the day away any day.  You only have so many football games! Don’t let the dazzle of the mod distract you from the school spirit tailgating is meant to inspire.” – Eve Conti

3.  Throw parties, but have friends pitch in, too!  “We did try to have two to three parties a semester because they definitely are still an important part of senior year! They tend to get expensive, so don’t let people pressure you into having parties if you don’t want to!  We used to have friends ask us to host parties, and they don’t realize the work that goes into it… It’s your place and your responsibility, so definitely make sure you’re thinking of you and your roommates’ best interest.  But definitely have fun themed parties!  It’s a great way to get creative and let loose.  The best is when you go to class and hear people you don’t know talking about your parties… can’t help but chuckle about that.” – Eve Conti

4.  Feast with your Mod family.  “What I loved about living in the Mods is that it really felt more like we made a home there than any other place on campus.  While the rooms are small, the common space and living room area more than make up for that.  I would suggest weekly or monthly family dinners.  Pick a night that works for everyone, plan a theme and make time to just be together.” – Alyssa Hughes

5.  Would you be my neighbor?  “Because you’re a senior, you might not feel like meeting any new classmates.  DO NOT LET THAT STOP YOU.  You should want to be able to randomly pop in and out of Mods and still feel comfortable with the people living there (and for them to be happy to host you as well).  About halfway through last year, the girls I was living with and I realized that an open door policy is the best policy.  This also will make for a great amount of late night life chats.” – Harvey Simmons

6.  Yes, laundry exists, even in the heavenly Mods.  “Plan your laundry days carefully.  The mod laundry room is in Walsh, and though it’s not as bad as it seems, make sure you’re aware of the weather on days when you plan on doing laundry.  It seems like a silly and small thing, but you don’t want to be lugging your laundry back to the mod in your rain.” – Eve Conti

7.  No Man is a Mod.  “Invite friends over often and make the most of every opportunity to grill, hang out, watch games, and make memories (even on the week nights)!”– Harvey Simmons

8.  Practically speaking… DOWNSIZE! “The beds are smaller and can’t be lofted as easily (you have to buy these metal BC-approved lofters that I believe are fairly expensive) so there’s not much under-the-bed storage, and, of course, the Mods are infamous for having only one desk.  The mods may be the most desirable spot on campus, but be prepared for a downgrade in storage space.  It’s not an issue as long as your don’t bring too much stuff.” – Eve Conti

9.  Use that Yard.  “Use your yard and grill- you can still grill in the winter too!  Sit out there and do (light) homework at the table in the fall and spring.  In the winter, build a snow fort around it.  Keep your sliding door open on warm and breezy days.  The yard is truly one of the mod’s greatest advantages.” – Kelly Fischietto

10.  Just Do It.  “Just take advantage of every opportunity, regardless of where you live.  Whether it’s a Tuesday night at MA’s or a 4 am talk with your roomies, just do it.  And don’t lose your keys!” – Alexa Cleary

Julianne is an Ohio native studying communication at Boston College with a concentration in journalism. She got involved with Her Campus BC when the chapter launched in December 2010. She began as an editor and contributing writer, and since has moved up the ranks to Campus Correspondent. Aside from working for Her Campus, Julianne is a certified personal trainer at Boston College's Flynn Recreational Complex and teaches group fitness as well. During her sophomore year, Julianne was a part of the Arrupe Program at BC and traveled to Guatemala, learning about the culture, political, social, economic, and religious issues of the country. Her goals post graduation include writing for a health and fitness magazine or working in communications for college or professional athletics. As for now, however, she is enjoying life at the University she loves so much! An avid hockey and football fan, one can always find Julianne in the stands rooting on BC and the Boston Bruins! Other hobbies include running, yoga, cooking, baking, and photography.
Katie Moran is a junior at Boston College, majoring in Communication. Originally from Seattle, she loves the East Coast but misses her rainy days and Starbucks coffees. On campus, Katie is involved with Sub Turri Yearbook, the Appalachia Volunteer Program, UGBC Women's Issues Team, Cura, and the Women's Resource Center Big Sister Program. She loves reading, watching "Friends," and exploring new places. She has a passion for creating and hopes to begin a career in marketing and advertising.