Life > Academics

Tips for Studying for the GRE: A Stressed Senior’s Guide to (Hopefully) Getting the Score You Want

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

OK, the unfortunate truth here is that the more you study, the better you will probably do. But not all of us have the time (or energy) to study every day for a year. With the semester starting, it’s likely that preparing for the GRE will make its way to the back of your mind. Hopefully, these tips will help!

Check if Your Top Schools Require the GRE

Before you even start studying, check what schools require or suggest sending GRE results. Only one of my top schools required it and a few even said they wouldn’t take GRE results. So before you stress yourself out, do some research and look into the schools you’re applying to. 

Invest in a Study Course

If structure is helpful to you, a study course is the right way to go! While they are pretty expensive, they are well worth the cost if you can afford them. I used Magoosh’s premium one month plan that cost $149. There’s a plethora of content, including video lessons, almost 1,500 practice questions and three full practice tests. It was infinitely more helpful to me than a simple study book. While the one month plan was perfect for my situation, it would have been nice to have a little more time to explore all of their resources. Magoosh also has a six month premium plan for $179 that would be perfect if you have the time! 

Study a Little Bit Every Day

For me, having to study for hours and hours a day is enough to make me not want to touch that subject ever again. To prevent burnout, just study a little bit every day. I started with one hour daily, and then moved to three as the test got closer. If I had started studying sooner, I think I could’ve stuck with just one or two. This is also helpful because it keeps the GRE material fresh in your mind at all times; when I was studying, I found that I would notice vocabulary words or possible math problems in my daily life. 

Know Your Word Roots 

If you haven’t looked at the verbal section yet, it’s filled with ridiculous vocabulary no one uses anymore. Unless you’re the type of person who can memorize thousands of new words in a few months, you’re going to have to figure out another way to master this section. Knowing your word roots, prefixes and suffixes will make it so much easier to figure out definitions. 

Do Practice Problems (Like, a Lot of Them)

While the quantitative section isn’t all that different from what you probably experienced on past standardized tests, the verbal section is very unique. In order to get used to the styles of questions and familiarize yourself with some potential vocab, doing as many problems as possible is a great idea. Practice tests are also helpful to get used to the pacing of the GRE. So, do a bunch! But don’t forget to review the questions you get wrong and figure out why. Doing different problems the same, incorrect way will not get you anywhere. So, take advantage of the explanations in your prep book or study course!

Take Practice Tests in One Sitting

The GRE is a long test. Hopefully, adrenaline will take over on test day and you will power through the hours without a problem. But do not rely on this! Taking practice tests in one sitting ensures that you have the mental stamina along with actual subject knowledge. When I was prepping, I went to Starbucks, bought a drink and kept my butt on my seat until I was done. I’m not going to lie – it was a painful few hours and I definitely needed a nap afterwards. But by the time test day rolled around, four hours felt like nothing. 

The GRE is not a fun test to take, but it’s an important one nonetheless. So follow these tips, stay positive and do the best you can. I’ll be rooting for you!

Addison Knight is in her second year at Baylor University. She will be graduating in December of 2021 with a B.A. in English Literature. She is involved in Student Senate, Kappa Kappa Gamma Sorority, and Her Campus Baylor. Addison loves cats, watching the sunset at the lake, and hippie music. She takes her coffee black if you're feeling generous!