This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

College tends to be a time of exploration, figuring out what interests you, new passions, new friends, different relationships, and just a completely new environment. It’s an exciting rush of all new things at once yet with all the excitement around you once the dust settles feelings of loneliness and being lost start to sink in. This is an all too familiar journey I have struggled with. In a way to combat these feelings, I have created a list of suggested activities to enjoy with some of your favorite people. 

1. Dinner parties 

This is a classic option that I absolutely adore. The idea of hosting dinner parties where you can get together with some of your favorite people and enjoy good conversation and food never seems to fail in the realm of being in a warm environment. Dinner parties are an opportunity to embrace your chosen family and have a family dinner to recap and catch up. You can participate in shared dishes and pretty decorations or even simple flowers. Dinner parties are a great way to have a fancy night with the people you love. 

1. Cooking at home 

Cooking nights are a more toned-down version of the dinner parties or even an opportunity for some well-deserved alone time. Cooking is a great way to experiment with some new recipes, have a small company, and move out of your comfort zone. Food is a love language to many, me included, and cooking nights are perfect to have an activity and you get great food as an end product!

1. Craft nights 

Craft nights are a simple and easy way to use creative outlets as a date night idea. Craft nights are endless opportunities to explore new outlets with some of the people you love. You could put a movie on and have your own crochet club or spend the night making jewelry, or even bust out the watercolors and acrylic paint. Craft nights are for any and everyone artistic or not. Finger painting is openly acceptable. Put out a cheese board and have a night in with some beautiful people while bonding over creative outlets!

1. Picnics 

Who doesn’t love a good picnic? Though they may seem impossible to organize or you don’t even know where to start, they can be as simple as grabbing food to go and laying outside to enjoy the view. They are so open to what you enjoy and how fancy or casual you want them to be. For functionality, you might want to pre-pack your cheeseboards in some Tupperware, pack some extra blankets and towels as well as a good book with good company. 

1. Tea and poetry reading 

All my fellow tea drinkers, this is your opportunity to make a date night with your favorite beverage. This is a spin-off of a tea party in my mind, you are able to enjoy a warm drink with some finger food while making conversation about your favorite books. Enjoying the presence of people you are about even in moments of silence is one of the most comforting experiences.

Making an active effort to have calm time with your chosen family, and carving out the time to have intentional time with these people curbs feelings of loneliness and instead brings together a supportive community. College is tough for many of us, figuring out how to grow up and evolve as human beings without the support of our family nearby. This is difficult, but it makes it all the easier when you take the time to nurture this chosen family. 

Sophia Tech

Baylor '25

Sophia is an Apparel Design and Product Development major with a minor in History at Baylor University. Born and raised in San Diego, California, Sophia enjoys discovering new brunch and thrift spots, going to concerts, being creative, and spending time with the people she loves! She is passionate about self-expression, and the diversity of the world.