Career > Her20s

The Do’s and Don’ts of Professional Dress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

You go, girl! You got that internship or new job. Maybe you have a career fair coming up (like the Baylor Career Center career fair in the spring). I already know you’re super excited, but have you thought about an outfit? I work for the Baylor Career Center and am here to tell you everything you need to know about the in’s and out’s of dressing professionally.

First of all, ignore those super old (cheugy, if you will) graphics showing a woman in some dated skirt suit that would make Coco Chanel roll over in her grave. These graphics are a problem because they are rooted in sexism. Women do not have to wear boring skirt suits to be professional, but they can. You can pull out the power slacks and blazer if you want to! Also, most people don’t use a briefcase or attaché (try to spot the difference in those if you can).

Second, make sure you understand the various professional dress codes before you go into any vocational setting. By understanding what each dress code entails, you can really wow employers. I’ll cover some basics for you, but you can check out in-depth explanations with a quick web search. Business professional is marked by exclusively neutral colors, matching skirt or pant suits, closed-toe heels at a modest height and minimal jewelry. This is the go-to for most interviews and professional settings (such as big meetings). Business casual, on the other hand, is marked by more textures, colors and patterns. These dress codes allow you to wear more fun outfits like a colored blazer and white sneakers. You also see more colored and neat denim, wide legged pants and cardigans. Both genres of clothes can be cute and comfortable once you navigate your way through each.

A really great trick I like to use when trying to develop work attire for new jobs is to wear something safe for the first few days and then begin to model what my boss wears. If your boss dresses super professionally (for example, a full suit five days a week), you probably need to keep your outfits in the same realm as the person you are working for. For example, my office is more business casual, so my boss wears lots of cute, colorful pants and flowy dresses. As a result, I love to wear palazzo style pants, cardigans and neutral but fun tops.  

In summary, there are really only a few basic guidelines to looking your best in a professional setting. DO stick to the dress code. DO keep it fashionable (bonus points for timelessness). DO invest in comfortable clothing and shoes. DO enjoy the things you wear. DO get mostly neutral tones with occasional fun prints and colors. DON’T wear anything with too high of a hem (crop tops and mini skirts are better for streetwear anyway). DON’T look disheveled. DON’T let people see the gusset of your pantyhose…like, ever. DON’T wear gaudy jewelry. DON’T be too afraid to ask for help. I recommend checking out @baylorcareercenter on Instagram for professional advice and information. Understanding what to wear to your interviews and jobs is an important skill, especially if you want to be successful in the business world.

Jacobi Reynolds is a photographer and senior Pre-medical Biology student at Baylor University. She is from Henrietta, Texas, just south of the Oklahoma and Texas border. When she is not studying or taking photos, she enjoys exploring new places, painting, and spending time with friends and family. Her favorite things are the color pink, dogs, pizza and going to the movies.