Five Femme YouTubers You Should Be Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

In the age of TikTok and Twitter, it’s easy to get caught in an algorithm of memes, models, and mindless scrolling. I’m definitely guilty of zoning out on social media for hours at a time. If we’re going to spend so much time on these platforms, though, shouldn’t we focus on something a little more substantial than dance moves and Driver’s License drama? If you’re looking for content that keeps you thinking outside the app, here are five femme creators to get you started.

• Khadija Mbowe: Khadija’s videos are like the gals’ night out you never knew you needed. A self-proclaimed Aunty to their audience of nieces, nephews, and siblings, they’re everything you want in a video essayist— they’re hilarious, they’ve got the facts, and they’re not afraid to tell it like it is. Sometimes they’ll add a self-care twist, throwing on a face mask while tackling colorism or sipping rosé while breaking down the drama in the royal family. Grab some girlfriends and look for their uploads every Sunday!

My top recs: 

• Amandamaryanna: What do you get when you cross activism, the college aesthetic, and a Facetime call with your best friend? Click on any of Amanda’s videos, and you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about. She’s an undergrad at NYU, so she’s super relatable for the college crowd, but she consistently produces next-level content that really gets you thinking. She’s not afraid to ask the big questions, like “Is the college experience a myth?” and “Why can’t black women be the love interest?” Definitely check out her channel for good vibes and great conversations we need to have. 

My top recs:

• Tee Noir: Tee’s the friend you turn to when you need someone to tell it like it is— she’s got your back in the best way possible. She’s serving on every level, preaching truths with genuinity, vulnerability, and a healthy dose of memes along the way. With over a million views, Tee’s video dissecting the “blaccent” is her most popular, but her entire channel is definitely worth a deep dive. Her content is addictive because her energy is so contagious— you can’t stop with just one video!

My top recs:

• Shanspeare: Shaniya’s here to make history class feel fun again. Each of her videos is like a mini-documentary— her attention to detail is immaculate, and you can see how much of her heart and soul she pours into each upload. Her video on the history of black women’s hair in America weaves pride, heartbreak, and a narrative spanning generations into a seventeen-minute production, and she deserves an Emmy for that one alone. Come for the cinematics and stay for the story— you won’t be disappointed. 

My top recs: 

• Ada On Demand: Ada’s the girl you could talk with for hours over coffee without realizing it. She mainly focuses on pop culture and its influence on us— from Tiktoks to TV shows, she’s got the receipts, and she’s here to do some double-takes. You’ll definitely laugh along the way as Ada breaks down each phenomenon, but you’ll walk away with a new outlook on your For You Page. Grab some snacks and settle for a great conversation! 

My top recs:

It’s time to turn your feed into a place to start conversations and ask yourself the big questions. By consciously choosing the kinds of content you consume, you’re helping to shape the social media narrative into a force for good. Use these five channels to get you going, but don’t stop here— keep uplifting the voices around you and stay self-aware as you scroll. The TikTok dances will wait.

Aubrey Gilliam is a sophomore University Scholar at Baylor University with concentrations in Political Science, International Relations, Middle East Studies, and Religion. She's a Texas girl through and through and says "y'all" unironically and without shame. When she's not buried in reading assignments, you'll find her drinking boba, petting dogs, or doing a sic 'em at the top of her lungs.