Style > Fashion

Birkenstocks: Why We Should Have Left Them in the 20th Century

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

It was the summer of 2017 when I first begged my parents for a pair of Birkenstock sandals. I was eager to keep up with the trends, hoping to sport the highly coveted “Yara” style. I wore my strappy, comfortable Birkenstocks everywhere, often accompanied by an oversized t-shirt and a set of shoddy, hand-painted toenails. Five years later, long since the sandals became battered and discolored, I question my own fashion sense regarding the shoes. I find them now to be unattractive and unflattering, over-enhancing the shape of my feet and making them look significantly larger in size. However, despite my heightened disapproval of past style choices, the Birkenstock brand has continued to grow, reaching an all-time popularity in 2022. The brand’s support has come as the result of one shoe: the “Boston” clogs. Though the style has been recognized and sold for years, it has only gained traction over the last few months. Seen recently on celebrities, such as Kendall Jenner, Dakota Johnson, and Kaia Gerber, the clogs have taken over TikTok and other social media platforms. The “Boston” comes in a wide variety of colors and textures, including suede, oiled leather, sherpa, and wool felt. If you aren’t satisfied with those options, you can also explore Birkenstock’s recent collaborations with Dior and Manolo Blahnik. The Manolo Blahnik x Birkenstock “Boston Crystal Buckle Clogs” feature smooth, colorful leather exteriors with Manolo’s iconic embellished buckle.

Before Birkenstocks became the world’s shoe of choice, they originally gained popularity in the 20th century. First introduced to the U.S. market in 1966, Birkenstocks established their significance over the following decades. The shoes went on to earn national coverage, especially being associated with the relaxed, leisure styles of the hippie movement. Shifting into the millennium, Birkenstocks came to earn a similar status with a different generation. In the 2000s, the “granola girl” aesthetic adopted Birkenstocks as their signature shoe, setting the brand’s comeback into motion. Now, in a post-pandemic society, Birkenstocks have become marketable once more with the rise of “comfort fashion.” With an increase in remote work and life on a virtual scale, people are finding they desire more nonchalance in their wardrobes. As noted by many, this makes Birkenstocks the perfect staple piece for this trend.

Personal qualms aside, the Birkenstock company has done admirably in maintaining relevance over its 56 years in the U.S. While the brand’s demand has certainly fluctuated during that time, and they clearly aren’t favored by all, the trend cycles their products have faced consistently restore their importance, sealing their fate as American fashion essentials.

Blayre Brent

Baylor '25

Blayre Brent is a Sophomore at Baylor University, majoring in English and Philosophy and minoring in Apparel Merchandising on the Pre-Law track. Outside of school, Blayre is a Tri Delta and a member of various organizations. She is passionate about fashion, social media, Audrey Hepburn and anything with a bow on it, and strives to emulate the characters Elle Woods and Blair Waldorf in every aspect of life!