Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Ways to Love Valentine’s Day When You’re Single AF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

February 14 has always been super hard for me. I have been #single for practically every Valentine’s Day ever, and I know I am not alone. When you see post after post of people getting giant bears, heart-shaped boxes of chocolates, and bouquets of red roses, it is easy to get discouraged. However, I am here to tell you how to conquer a day centered around relationships when you are single AF.

Romance Yourself

It’s incredibly important to love yourself, no matter what day it is! I am a huge advocate for self-care every day of the week, and Valentine’s Day should be no different. You should take a warm bath, or shower (shout out to the girls in dorm rooms), exfoliate, lotion-up, and throw on your comfiest pajamas and fuzziest socks! The past few Valentine’s Days, I’ve spent the evening cuddled up in bed with a moisturizing face mask and Legally Blonde on repeat. RuPaul said it best: “If you can’t love yourself, how the hell you gonna love somebody else?” So, spend time romancing and enjoying being single, and I promise you will not regret it!

Get Your Besties Together for a Galentine’s Celebration

What could possibly be a better way to spend the holiday than with your best girl friends? Go to the movies, eat at a nice restaurant, or go treat yourselves to a mini-shopping spree! Personally, I can never stop smiling after a girl’s day with my friends. This is a guaranteed way to push any single-girl sadness right out the window! 

Realize It’s Just Another Day

Ultimately, there is nothing truly special about February 14. You are still beautiful, kind, and important on that day as any other one. Your personality is still going to be a light to all of the people you meet and your laugh will still fill the room with joy. Do not treat Valentine’s Day as anything more than another day, because your worth never changes. 

Hang With the Fam

If possible, make some plans with your family! Whether it be a skype call or a dinner date, family is super important. I, personally, love to have little video chats with my mom and step-dad during lunchtime, and it always puts me in a better mood. Basically, no one loves you more than your family, so schedule some time devoted to them!

Stay Off Social Media

In my opinion, one of the hardest “side effects” of Valentine’s is the flood of cutesie couple’s photos all over my timeline. I cannot get on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook without seeing a million pictures of kisses, hugs, and canoodling. Truthfully, your best bet is to stay off social media for the day if you are uncomfortable with too much PDA and couple’s content!

Valentine’s Day does NOT have to suck when you are single. In fact, just because society centers it around couples, does not mean a day of love can’t mean loving yourself, your friends, and your family. In a few days, it will be February 14, and I challenge you to go out and conquer the day. Start loving Valentine’s Day, with or without a partner by your side.

Jacobi Reynolds is a photographer and senior Pre-medical Biology student at Baylor University. She is from Henrietta, Texas, just south of the Oklahoma and Texas border. When she is not studying or taking photos, she enjoys exploring new places, painting, and spending time with friends and family. Her favorite things are the color pink, dogs, pizza and going to the movies.