Transform Your Dorm With Two Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Let’s face it – The dark wooden furniture and eggshell wall color in your dorm just don’t do it for you. Let me introduce you to your new best friends: Contact Paper and Washi Tape! These products are great for dorms because you can stick them onto hard surfaces and peel them off without any damage or residue. Contact paper and washi tape are inexpensive and can be found in any craft store. The design possibilities are endless…

Tell me more: 

Contact paper is essentially a giant sticker: one side has a decorative print and the other side is covered in a highly adhesive material. It typically comes rolled up. Cut the contact paper into any size or shape, peel off the back lining, and stick it anywhere and everywhere for a quick and easy update. 

Washi tape originates from Japan and is made out of paper. It comes on a roll and feels very similar to masking tape, except it’s MUCH prettier. Washi tape comes in a variety of patterns and widths, so pick a color scheme and get taping!

How to transform your dorm with Contact Paper and Washi Tape:

1. Use contact paper as temporary wallpaper

2. Create a headboard

3. Make a unique wall design

4. Ditch your picture frames

5. Create your own decal

6. Cover your furniture

7. Add color to your desk

Go wild, Bobcats, taping and sticking!