This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

90’s dance approaches, and you might find yourself wanting to brush up on some of the slang of the decade. One of the best ways to do that is to listen to the music and/or watch some movies that were popular at the time. Here are a few classic films to help you get back into the groove, dude.

“Clueless” features such timeless phrases as “As if!,” “Whatever,” “Oh my God, I am totally buggin,” “way harsh,” and more. Of course, these are all said with the most sass you can manage, and then some.

I’m not sure that “Space Jam” has many quotable moments, but it’s still a hallmark of the 90’s.

“10 Things I Hate About You” is, in my opinion, one of the best movies of the 90’s (and possible one of my favorite movies ever). Who can forget Heath Ledger’s rendition of the classic Frankie Valley and the Four Seasons tune, “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You?” There are so many fantastic moments, quite a few of them centering around feminist ideals and empowerment. So great.

I guess it wouldn’t be a 90’s list if I didn’t include “American Pie.” Truth be told, I’ve never seen the movie, but from what I’ve heard, it has a ton of 90’s tropes: teenagers, sexuality and sexual frustration, teenage sexual frustration, high school, etc. 

“Wayne’s World” is another film featuring goofy teens, so that seems appropriate. This movie involves “Ex-squeeze me? Baking powder?,” following up sentences with “Not!,” “No way!” “Way!” and other moments. 

A bit of a detour from the teen-centered films above, “The Sandlot” features kids, and as any good angsty teen will tell you, they are not the same thing. Now for the quotes: “You’re killin me, Smalls!” “Don’t be a goofus!” “The Beast.”

You don’t have much time, so get watching!

Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.