Jeremy Jordan’s “It’s All Coming Back to Me Now”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

I’m a big fan of musical theater. There’s a huge amount of talent required to sing, dance, and act live on stage, and the people who work in musical theater are absolutely incredible performers, especially those on Broadway. Jeremy Jordan is no exception.

One of my favorite performances of his is, without a doubt, his live cover of Celine Dion’s “It’s All Coming Back to Me Now” at the Broadway Loves Celine Dion event at 54 Below in NYC. If you haven’t had the pleasure of watching it, please do:

I love this video for so many reasons. His facial expressions are great, and he’s such an expressive person on stage. The way he alternately hits on the background vocalists, audience, and the mic stand is hilarious (starting at around 6:16). He infuses humor into his performance so seamlessly that even though he’s actually singing a love song, it’s an entertaining thing to watch in a humorous way (almost beginning to sing at the wrong time at the very start of the song, at 4:20, “Three minutes left,” etc.).

Moving on to his actual vocals, he’s an undeniably powerful singer. No doubt about it. There’s a slight raspy quality to his voice in certain sections, like at 1:13, 2:48, 3:56, 5:15, 5:40, and it’s gorgeous. In the softer sections of the song, his voice is tender and sweet (3:30, 4:30, 6:30, 6:50), but once he reaches the more expressive parts, oh my word. The best way I can describe the way his voice opens up is to compare it to taking a sports car on an open road and gunning the engine. Zero to 100 in approximately two seconds. Check out 1:28, 2:15, 2:58, 3:57, 4:10 (oh my goodness it’s incredible), 4:55, 5:08, 5:15, 5:50, etc. Honestly, there’s not a moment in this video that I dislike. Not a single moment. I hope you love this as much as I do; I think you’ll find it hard not to.

Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.