Floral Standard Hero Template 2?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Floral Standard Hero Template 2?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
@babybella777 on TikTok / @Bellahadid on Instagram

Why Influencers Have Us in a Chokehold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

Ask any kid today what they want to be when they grow up and they say “Youtuber,” “TikToker,” and even “Streamer.” Ask any college girl who their inspiration is for fashion or beauty, and it’s more likely than not to be a popular influencer. But why do celebrities like Alix Earl have so much power over what we do, buy, and who we are?

“Would you jump off a bridge just because your friends did?” We’ve heard that saying millions of times talking about the follower mentality, but now, we might jump off a bridge just because someone we don’t know did it on TikTok. Influencers and influencer marketing are all built on the perception of belonging, how people view being “in” with the world. Most people are so desperate to belong to something, anything, that they make decisions that others are making, and most times they do it without even realizing it. 

Take something as simple as lipgloss. Yes, you could buy lip gloss with no name brand from the dollar store, but what if you bought the new Summer Fridays lip gloss just like all your friends have, and just like the most beautiful model influencers on TikTok have? Wouldn’t you feel just as “in” with them if you have that same lip gloss? Now take that lip gloss and apply it to everything (and I mean everything). Water bottles, athleisure, Crocs, colleges, sororities, Christmas gifts, and Bible quotes. The psychology of influence is not new and has been around for thousands of years.  We’re just seeing it now through user-generated content on social media. 

Now, I’m personally not above “being influenced,” and use Charlotte Tilbury’s Halo Glow highlighter, sip from an Owala water bottle, and always reach for my Snail Mucin skincare at night. Think about all the ways in which you’ve been influenced recently. Do you own the “5 Minute Gratitude Journal,” or the short Ugg slippers, or have you used the TikTok shop or Temu? You’ve been influenced. And that’s okay. That’s the job of these influencers on social media- they’re being paid, whether through dollars per post or through free products, to make you reach for a certain product in the store. 

Influencer marketing is its own beast, and I won’t delve too much into it here, but I have my own thoughts as a public relations and advertising student. But influencer marketing is cheaper than ever before- more than 82% of consumers are “highly likely” to follow the recommendation of an influencer, even if that influencer does tell you to run out and buy a specific product. Brands can buy an influencer’s post, and therefore that influencer’s followers, for as low as $75 for one post from a micro-influencer. Having worked with influencers in my career, sometimes it’s free tickets to an experience in exchange for an “I was here, it was cool” style video post. I’m not even working to pay them money to tell their viewers to go to my experience, and that’s how strong the psychology of influence is! 

So before you buy that white cowboy corset top that Alix Earle wore (you know the one), or click “add to cart” on that $24 lip gloss, think about how strong the psychology of influence and influencers are! And then, if you’re a big shopper who is easily influenced like me, you’ll add to cart anyway ;)

Grace Carman

Ball State '24

Hi there! I'm Grace Carman and I use she/her/hers pronouns! I'm a senior at Ball State studying Public Relations and Advertising, but have a concentration in Event Planning and a minor in Theatre, and am a member of the Honors College! Despite being heavily involved in extracurriculars, leadership, and my job at the Honors College, I am extremely passionate about all things fashion, pop culture, film, and fun! If you're interested in connecting, you can find me on Instagram @_gracecarman or on LinkedIn at Grace Carman. Let's get to know each other!