fall ig captions?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
fall ig captions?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Warner Bros. Television / Canva
Style > Fashion

Top 10 Movies and Shows for Fall Fashion Inspo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

Fall is my favorite season, and not just because of pumpkin everything; it’s also a great time to get experimental with your fashion! The colder weather allows for a lot more layering opportunities, as well as a new palette of colors to go with the changing seasons. I think 90s/early 2000s trends are back and better than ever this year, which is why I chose plenty of wardrobe inspiration from around that time period! There are a few outliers, of course, but here are my top 10 movies and television shows that provide fantastic fashion inspo for this upcoming season!

1. When Harry Met Sally

Meg Ryan is the fall fashion queen, as well as just the queen of my heart, so are you really surprised that this movie is #1? Her character Sally’s late 80s work casual style has always been a personal favorite; she incorporates a lot of basic building pieces, such as cozy sweaters and blazers, with the occasional pop of pattern or color. She looks incredibly put together while remaining stylish and warm–the perfect fall combination! Not to mention, that NYE dress!!

1. Practical Magic

Nicole Kidman’s Gillian and Sandra Bullock’s Sally Owens brew look after look in this witchy 90s flick. While Gillian represents the more scantily clad fashion of the 90s, like spaghetti straps, flowy floral skirts, and velvet, Sally typically opts for the more classic jeans-and-sneaker combo–both of which are perfectly wonderful and acceptable, especially for fall! And now, more so than ever, there is nothing wrong with combining bits from both styles!

1. The Craft

Despite being in uniforms for a larger part of the movie, Neve Campbell, Robin Tunney, Fairuza Balk, and Rachel True serve classic 90s grunge with their own witchy, feminine touch, and I predict that that will be a huge hit this fall season. The quad pairs leather and gothic silver jewelry with flowy dresses and skirts, as well as a thick combat boot. Plenty of darker lip colors, silvery eyeshadow, and thin-frame sunglasses.

1. Scream

Another Neve Campbell Halloween hit, her character Sydney, and other leading female Tatum (Rose McGowan), absolutely nail the 90s fall style. Sydney typically leans towards wearing denims and grays, while Tatum is more expressive and colorful. A few of my favorite looks of Tatum’s are a jersey-style t-shirt with red jeans and a lime green scalloped mock-neck tee with a psychedelic swirl skirt. Not to mention, both girls are 100% hair goals.

1. Only Murders in the Building

This 2021 TV show is perfect not only for fall fashion inspo, but also a great choice when you’re in a spooky mood! Selena Gomez’s character Mabel does not shy away from a bright color or print, and while that may be the opposite aesthetic of 90s fall, I think you can never go wrong with color! Bright sweaters and coats are staples of Mabel’s wardrobe, as well as patterns like plaid and houndstooth.

1. Notting Hill

Julia Roberts plays an actress in this 1999 rom-com alongside Hugh Grant, and she looks the part, too! Anna Scott, Julia’s character, has a very sleek and elegant look about her. She adorns herself with dainty accessories and, of course, loves a light floral. One of my favorite looks from this film is when she first enters William Thacker’s (Grant) London bookstore, in which she pairs a white tee and jeans with a black blazer, beret, gold necklace, and cat-eye sunglasses; so simple yet so, so good.

1. Friends

This 90s television show pretty much encapsulates that decade’s fashion as a whole, and while we can take inspiration from characters Rachel Green and Monica Geller, Phoebe Buffay is one of my biggest fall fashion inspirations! While both Rachel and Monica keep it pretty casual with layerable basics, as well as similar layered fringe blowout hairstyles, Phoebe wears a darker color palette, more accessories, and just isn’t afraid to experiment! She never strays from a dangly earring or a maxi skirt.

1. Freaks and Geeks

The iconic 1999 mini-series starring Linda Cardellini, James Franco, Seth Rogan, Jason Segal, and Busy Phillips takes place in the early 80s, providing perfect transitional periods between both seasons and decades. Not only that, but this show holds style inspiration for both men and women! The group of teens keeps a pretty neutral color palette and opt for ringer tees and bellbottoms most days, but I adore this style! Typical 70s-80s fashion; stripes, big jackets, band tees, flares, braids and waves.

1. Death Becomes Her

Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn play jealous, opulent movie stars in this hilarious early 90s spooky season classic. Both women wear a relatively pastel palette, with flowy accents against curve-hugging forms and chunky jewelry paired with sleek blowouts. They are the epitome of the chic villain aesthetic (Meryl literally wears THE husband-killing fur-lined robe in the film; need I say more?) I don’t think we’ll see this aesthetic–at least until Spring 2024–but the pair both have iconic looks throughout that could serve as excellent inspiration or even Halloween costumes!

1.  Hocus Pocus

Now, I know what you’re thinking, but hear me out: JEWEL. TONES. The trio of witches known as the Sanderson Sisters have their own colors: purple, burgundy, and green. Their differing styles and tones accent each other perfectly, with plenty of drapery in their gowns and velvet, which I think will be a big hit this fall. If that’s not your style, though, Allison also has much more… normal outfits. Although we only get a full view of a handful, like her cozy beige cardigan ‘fit, they are excellent options nonetheless!

Cassidy Kennedy

Ball State '26

I am currently a sophomore at Ball State University in Muncie, IN, majoring in journalism with minors in fashion and digital media. I love all things retro: music, fashion, you name it! I also love anything pop culture-related. In my free time, I love to listen to music, write, read, or watch movies!