The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

The fall season has finally arrived! And if you are like me, you are looking forward to all the fun activities that come along with fall. However, during this time, school usually gets more difficult and it can be stressful for people. One way I like to de-stress is by relaxing in my dorm room.

I love fall, so I find that when my room is seasonal and cozy, it makes me feel more at home and relaxed. This could be the same for you, and it is a great way to pass the time and have fun! Below are 9 ways you can decorate your dorm room this fall, so have fun with it and happy decorating!

Pumpkin Pillows

Any kind of throw pillows, especially ones shaped like pumpkins, can add that perfect touch of fall to your dorm room while staying cozy. You can choose different colors and sizes to truly make it your own. Amazon offers really cute pumpkin pillows that come in so many different colors and sizes. There are also a ton of DIY pumpkin pillows that you can recreate on Pinterest if you’re a crafty person like me! 

Fall Throw Blanket

Blankets are always a must, especially if your dorm room is cold like mine. There are so many different throw blankets you can buy that give off fall vibes. Some may have a pattern, be a fall color, or just seem comfy and cozy to have for the fall season. 

6e767244c4e84a7fa4d45cae03a431f8 c7fab3501bf04e35a6a4e4f958118e2b

Fall Leaf Garland

Seeing the leaves changing colors always gets me in the fall spirit. The trees look beautiful, so why not bring some of that into your room (even if they are fake)? The possibilities are endless with leaves. You can put them around your door or window, hang them on your bed (especially if it is lofted), or lay them on a shelf or desk. You can also get some with LED lights! However, they make them without lights as well.

Wreath

Putting a fall-themed wreath on your door can be a great way to share your love of the season and get others in the fall spirit. It could also serve as a good conversation piece to make some new friends!

Fall Door Sign

If wreaths aren’t really your thing, but you still want to express your love for fall, a sign might be perfect for you! There are so many different types of signs you can get to hang on your door. Or you could go the DIY route, make your own, and customize it with your roommate!

Flowers

Adding some flowers to your dorm can be cute and add a touch of fall as well. Some good fall flowers might include sunflowers, marigolds, mums or any flowers that have earthy tones. You can also make it your own by getting real flowers from a nearby store, or stick to fake flowers so you can reuse them. 

Wooden Pumpkins

These wooden pumpkins from Amazon are so cute, and would be perfect in any room! They are not too big and won’t take up too much space on a shelf or desk in your dorm room. 

Fall Window Decor 

Fall window decor can be a great way to decorate your dorm without taking up space on surfaces that you use daily. There are so many different options you can choose from such as lights or window clings. Both of these are really cute options that will take your fall decorations to the next level!

Fall Scented Candle/Warmers

Making your room smell like fall can be the final step in the decorating process. And who doesn’t love a new candle? Bath and Body Works has some of the best fall scents to choose from including Pumpkin Pecan Waffles, Cinnamon Stick, and Flannel. However, many dorm rooms have a policy where you are not allowed to have open-flame candles. If this is the case, but you still want your room to have that nice fall scent, you could go with wax melts. This butterscotch and maple cream scent from Walmart is one of my favorites! 

As you decorate your room for fall, remember that this season is usually associated with warm, earthy tones. So if you want a unified look in your room, it would be best to go for these types of colors. You can also go with colors and textures that complement the original theme of the room. It is also helpful to ensure that the decor is something that you’ll like and use more than once. This is a chance to decorate and make the space your own. One day, when you are out of the dorms, you can reuse these decor pieces, so make sure it is something you like! Another thing to keep in mind is that this is usually a small space, so less is more. Don’t make it look too overcrowded with decor, but a cozy feel is nice. And don’t forget to have fun with it! You finally get the opportunity to make a space your own, so experiment and truly customize it to your liking. Happy Fall!

Lindsay Collings

Ball State '27

I am a student at Ball State University and I am majoring in marketing! I love painting, baking, photography, and fashion!!