This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

World NewsEXPLAINER: Why Is the Military Taking Control in Myanmar?, Associated Press 

Myanmar, formerly Burma, is a nation in Southeast Asia that is currently facing a military coup. The president and other high ranking officials have been taken into custody, a power the military has due to Article 417 of the country’s constitution. This article gives the military the right to take over in a state of emergency, which they declared as the president’s failure to deal with Covid-19 and supposed election fraud. The Human Rights Watch and other countries are standing at the ready, ready to impose economic sanctions or take other legislative action in response to this threat to democracy. 

National NewsEven in Poorer Neighborhoods, the Wealthy Are Lining Up for Vaccines, The New York Times 

As the Covid-19 vaccine becomes more readily available across the country, clinics are discovering that wealthy white citizens are overwhelming showing up. This poses issues for minority groups and underserved communities that have been hit the hardest by the pandemic. There is also skepticism of the vaccine present within Black and Latino communities, which has played a role in the lower sign-up numbers for these groups. Class and race influence many aspects of American society, and it is vital that this health crisis doesn’t become even more elitist than it already is. 

Local NewsHow to get a COVID-19 vaccine in Indiana, IndyStar  

As the Covid-19 vaccine is rolled out, many may be wondering when they will be able to get it. As of right now, the next group of individuals to get vaccinated in Indiana are residents 65 and older, in addition to healthcare workers who are already eligible. This is due to a lack of resources and the risk this age group faces. Unfortunately for college students, the plan is to continue to roll out vaccines by age group, so it could be a while before they are available for 18-25 year olds. Due to this, it is important to continue wearing your mask and following proper Covid-19 guidelines in order to stay safe.

Monet Lindstrand is the Ball State Her Campus chapter's Senior Editor! She is a Political Science and Women and Gender Studies double major with minors in French and Campaign Communications. Outside of Her Campus, she is the Vice President of the Student Government Association, President of the Panhellenic Association, and Director of Alumnae Relations for the Zeta Kappa chapter of Kappa Delta. Monet is a vegetarian and has a passion for women’s rights and politics!
Ball State Chapter of Her Campus