Picture of Paris from the top of the Tour Montparnasse.
Grace Ryhlick

La Fête de Saint-Valentin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

Ever since I was a little girl, I have always dreamed of the day I would travel to France. I would be older. Sophisticated. Probably step off the plane with a fresh manicure, the latest designer bag hanging from my shoulder. I would be effortlessly beautiful like the French women you see in magazines and movies. At nineteen, I have yet to make it there yet, but I am just as fascinated with the culture and language as I was then. So much so that I chose to minor in French while here at Ball State. 

From proposals in front of a glittering Eiffel Tower to padlocks on the bridges of the Seine, Paris is home to an abundance of romantic traditions. Needless to say, it has earned its long-standing nickname, “the city of love.” And what better time to explore the country that boasts such a city than during Valentine’s Day, a holiday dedicated to romance, love, and friendship! 

Unlike here in America, the celebration of la fête de Saint-Valentin, or Valentine’s Day, is not commercialized in France. Those who choose to celebrate are in committed relationships and are focused on honoring the romantic love that they share with their partner. Since this is the tradition of the holiday in France, it is highly unlikely to find “Galentine’s Day” parties. The French simply don’t see Valentine’s Day as an appropriate time to celebrate friendships and platonic love. There are several theories as to where this stems from, but most interesting is one proposed by History.com, which suggests that “during the Middle Ages, it was commonly believed in France and England that February 14 was the beginning of birds’ mating season, which added to the idea that Valentine’s Day should be a day for romance.” 

Couples who are together on Valentine’s Day often skip the greeting cards and crafts, focusing instead on tasteful dinners, romantic weekend getaways, and carefully picked bouquets of flowers. Those who celebrate also tend to be adults, the younger populations typically passing on the affairs. 

This focus on the essence of the holiday rather than the “promotion” of it is a very non-American way of celebrating. Here in America, for better or for worse, we tend to focus on the marketing aspect of holidays. One could argue that this is due to the “Hallmarkization” of the holiday, as the company found yet another way to profit off of people. Our capitalistic society has sold Valentine’s Day for financial benefit, believing that they will make more if it is a holiday for everyone. The sale of cards is a great example of this. According to Good Housekeeping, 145 million Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged each year, the mass production of which began in the United States in the 1840s by Esther A. Howland, the “Mother of the American Valentine.” The juxtaposition of the two countries is interesting, as it is fun to make cards and eat chocolate, it is just not what Valentine’s Day ever intended to be. But what is so special about different cultures and traditions is that they are different, and there is no one right way to celebrate. 

Even if you just celebrate here in America with friends, family, or loved ones, I hope you enjoyed learning a bit about the Parisian take on the day of love. And if you are single, like me, maybe take this as an opportunity to shoot your shot and ask someone, “Tu veux être mon valentin?” Bonne chance! 

Think that the French la fête de Saint-Valentin traditions are for you? Check out the love-related French vocab below to find inspiration for the 14th! 

1. L’amour- love
  2. L’amitié- friendship
  3. Je t’aime- I love you
  4. Est-ce que tu veux sortir avec moi?- would you like to go out with me?
  5. Un amoureux / une amoureuse- a sweetheart
  6. Un petit-ami/ un petit-copain- a boyfriend
  7. Une petite-amie / une petite-copine- a girlfriend
  8. Mon chéri, ma chérie, mon amour…- terms of endearment 
  9. Joyeuse Saint Valentin- happy Valentine’s day.
  10. Tu veux être mon valentin / ma valentine?- Would you be my valentine?
Monet Lindstrand is the Ball State Her Campus chapter's Senior Editor! She is a Political Science and Women and Gender Studies double major with minors in French and Campaign Communications. Outside of Her Campus, she is the Vice President of the Student Government Association, President of the Panhellenic Association, and Director of Alumnae Relations for the Zeta Kappa chapter of Kappa Delta. Monet is a vegetarian and has a passion for women’s rights and politics!