Life > Academics

Ball State’s Best-Kept Secret Study Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

The semester is flying by. Before you know it, finals will be here, and you will be eating, sleeping, practically living at Bracken Library. Instead of holing up in the windowless fourth-floor study rooms for hours on end, try one of these study spots instead.

Jack’s Donuts

A personal favorite of mine, Jack’s Donuts, is located in the Village south of campus. Jack’s sells donuts (obviously), ice cream, coffee and boba energy drinks to fuel your study sessions. Closing at 3 p.m. during the week, it is best for early morning or midday study sessions. Keep in mind, you must buy something to go to their upstairs seating area, so if you’re looking to treat yourself while you study, check out Jack’s Donuts.

North Dining

If you like to study with a bit of background noise, find a corner in a dining hall and set up shop. North Dining doesn’t play music like Woodworth does and isn’t packed like the Atrium. I love sitting beside Starbucks, tossing my headphones on and tackling assignment after assignment. The windows bring in lots of light and provide a nice view.

University Green (hammocking)

There is nothing better than swinging in a hammock on a rare warm day. It’s a treat. If you find yourself inside studying on one of these nice days, take your work outside. If you have a hammock (which I highly recommend), find a spot on campus to hang it. If not, grab a blanket to sit on. University Green, located in front of the Whitinger Business Building, has the best trees on campus for hammocking (and the WiFi works).

Student Center Lounges

If you find yourself on the south side of campus, the L.A. Pittenger Student Center has plenty of spots for your study sessions. The basement is great for peace and quiet. There are also lounges on each floor, plus the dining area. This building is so big that you can find a hundred different spots to study.Switching locations can actually help you retain information better and prevent burnout! So the next time you find yourself trudging to the library, remember this article and check out one of these spots instead.

Are there any study spots you think we missed? Let us know!

Gracee Hedge

Ball State '25

Gracee Hedge is a Public Relations major with minors in Women and Gender Studies & Marketing. She is a member of Operation Black-Out Dance Club and Delta Sigma Pi, a co-ed professional business fraternity. Some of her favorite things include reading, dance, photography, Gilmore Girls, and 5 Seconds of Summer.